Looking for a good tube amp on with a reasonable budget

Erukian

I'm looking to spend no more than $700 on a integrated tube amp, i was considering this one right here.

http://onix.pbwiki.com/SP3

I found a friend who's offering $550 for it almost brand new (retails $1k), local pickup. I'm curious what other options I should think about. The thing is I no longer have Klipsch speakers so realisticaly my sensitivity is around 88dB which sort of means a SET amp is out of the picture...

So i'm really just asking for advice or suggestions when deciding on a 25+W tube amp that can handle a 4ohm load.

-Joe

I've never heard that amp but I must say that is a sweet looking amp. It's also fairly well reviewed.

At $550 in great condition, it doesn't seem like you can go wrong. If you find that you want to try something else or it isn't enough power, you don't even lose out on shipping. I'd look at it as an in-home audition with literally nothing to lose.

What will this be driving?

The onix is a nice amp. Price of 550 is an average selling price for a used one. The only issues with this amp is a roll off at the upper and lower ends of the power bandwidth. But for most folks, it's not a show stopper. The roll off issues are resolved in the model above this one. It's a recent model, so unlike the vintage flavors, you don't have to undertake a life long hobby of mods, re-caps, and circut board upgrades.

If you had a pre-amp, the AMC 2030 is the best performer for under 500 bucks. 30 watts per channel in class A mode. Dead quiet and with it's heat management advances, the tubes last for quite some time. I just sold 2 of them for 275 each.