Mirage FRX-S15, good?

martindemon

I could have a deal (something like 450$) for this

frx-s15 model that looks great for the price.

Is it a model that accepts signals up to more than

100mv or does it clip at 100mv? Is it a sub that

blends easily with the fronts? Is it boomy?

Thank you for your help!

------------------

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Ok guys, here is how i have seen (and HEARD!!!) things. I just went to the store and listened to this beast and i found that i could not find it! I mean i could not identify the position of the sub. So it is great. The bass was very good (from my limited experience...) and deep (and the sub was near a wall, far from corner.) So i will buy it tomorrow at 440$, taxes included (tax=15% here...). This seems to be a big dual ported bass beast! I'll also buy my speakers tomorrow as well as my system (you can see it in home theater posts.)

------------------

Ca fait shaker toute la maison!!!

I just found a good place for my sub and the bass on the sweet spot in exactly like i want.

I was listening to some "Delerium" (semantic spaces) ; great bass test (track 6, at 2.00 min) and i was enjoying the sound at -21db (0db=nominal...) and all was good until my father came in my room to tell me that my mother could not take anymore window shaking. ???! Her working room is at the other side of the house (with a big room between my room and hers). So i verified and there was almost half the bass in her room compared to my room! I think i'll have to wait until everybody is gone to enjoy full range nominal volume (0db) reproduction...

------------------

good? si!

low bass notes are not locatable, people confuse things by always telling others to put the bass in the corner, most the bass that moderate woofers put out is in the locatable range ...

the halls of the house act like a horn for some of the mid-bass frequencies, they focus it and direct it down the hall towards - guess who? your mother!

the lowest bass notes are not so easily thwarted by mere sheetrock walls, they resound through-out the entire house ...

------------------

Lights out & tubes glowing! (See Acolin's AColin - tweaking audiophile's big old horns at inmate systems at audioasylum.com)

Martin. I thought track 7 at around 0:37 when that "deep bass" kicks in was deeper than track 6's 2:00. Great cd though. I still go back to it once in a while after all these years. Personally, I like the one after semantic spaces better. Was it called Euphoria? I'm too lazy to look. Also, I don't know about you but 0db on my receiver = intolerable. Not nominal....

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

Why intolerable?

It is fabulous! No distorsion. Something like more than 120db (i did not measure ; i'm just estimating, compared to live concerts where i went and where they measured sound pressure) in my 12'x14' room with almost no absorbing surfaces (but my bed)! I know i should not listen at this level for a long time but i don't (i can't because i always fear that my neighbors will come back...) But after i must put all back into places (all that fell off everywhere...) I'll try your track to see what it does. I'm just beginning to listen to my CD with my Klipsch and all is really different! I hear things i've never heard!

------------------

He ca remue les bibites! cwm1.gif

A good sub adds to the experience,I doubt it can hit 120dB even 115 I would be surprised.This sub will be closer to 115 on peaks(25-60Hz)still very loud and plenty to shake the house.

Energy also had a XL18 sub,this 150lbs 18" sub has huge output from(30-60Hz),around 120dB in most rooms.

Not a deep sub bass sub but hits hard and fast.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

You're right Ears, but i meant the total output

of my system (RF-3, RC-3, RS-3, FRX-S15 powered by my denon 1802). I tried the system at 0db for a long time and it was pretty good but if i push it to 1 or 2 more db, i begin to hear distorsion (depth charges from U571 and Starwars ep.1). But anyway 0db is more than enough... In fact, at -6db or -3db, the sound level is exactly where i like it for long listenings. What i love is that the deep bass stays with me even at -57db!!! Just a whispering and i hear all the frequencies!

------------------