K-28 Thiele Small Parameters

michele.buzzi

• 12 years later...
On 3/6/2008 at 10:14 AM, colterphoto1 said:

I have checked our ROI parts system. Both the K-23 forte woofer 121203 and the K-25 forte II woofer 121205 have been superceded to the K-28E woofer 121225. That is what has been approved by Klipsch Engineering for replacment use in both the forte and forte II. We have 688 of them in stock.

I'm here to tell you that my Forte II with the K28E sounds vastly different than it's mate, my Forte II with the K25K. Whoever in engineering decided that was 'good enough' was maybe more concerned with the bean-counters than audio.

On 2/22/2007 at 9:21 AM, Modified-Tractrix said:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting those T/S Specs, been looking for those a while also. What did that woofer originally come in? I bought a pair of the KP-28E woofers as a replacement for blown units in my Forte's, did a quick a Fs with an audio generator and resistors and got a similar figure,about 38Hz. Therefore this does not seem like a good fit for the Forte'. I took a chance and bought a pair of Eclipse (Eminence) W1238R woofers from Madisound and they are much closer to the K23, or K25 based on the published specs. The magnet is quite a bit smaller than the K23 or K25 also, but possibly bigger than the K28. As far as sound quality and bass, the Eclipse unit is a closer fit to the original Forte'.

Has anyone found another replacement woofer that works well with the Forte' and Forte' II?

I noticed that that Eclipse is 8 ohm and the original Forte woofer is 4 ohm

However, I just checked the system impedance of my two Forte II's with an actual Z meter (University LWT), and there is absolutely no Z difference between the one with the K-25 and the one with the K28, both are 5 Ohms @ 400Hz and 100Hz. (This is not the woofer, but the system, including crossover). They sound vastly different than one another, but I can't describe the difference because I've forgotten which is which! If I were to get ambitious I would measure a sweep, but it's not high on the list of priorities.

10 hours ago, Bennosteve said:

However, I just checked the system impedance of my two Forte II's with an actual Z meter (University LWT), and there is absolutely no Z difference between the one with the K-25 and the one with the K28, both are 5 Ohms @ 400Hz and 100Hz. (This is not the woofer, but the system, including crossover). They sound vastly different than one another, but I can't describe the difference because I've forgotten which is which! If I were to get ambitious I would measure a sweep, but it's not high on the list of priorities.

Is one newer than the other? Woofers do seem to go through changes in sound as they age.