KG 5.5 Woofers

Danthemmaann

I bought a pair of these about a month ago. I had a rattle in one of the speakers. I took it out and could not find anything wrong with it. Someone suggested I try turning it 180 degrees and this did not help. I am in the process of ordering one. I took the others out to inspect them also. I had noticed at the back of the speakers where the cone connects to the corrugated paper looking white backing that is there is a power or chalking around this area. Should I be concerned? If I am going to replace the one speaker and this is a sign of the speakers getting old I am thinking of doing all while I can still get them. Does anyone know the general life of these speakers or what the chalking looking stuff is? It looks as it is either coming from the Corrugated paper or is it a glue or something where the cone and paper meet?

Does the woofer have a vent port (~3/4" hole in the back center of the magent)?? If so, can you hear the rattle if you shake the speaker ... ( hold the speaker in its mount orientation, and move it quickly towards and away from your body) ? If you orient the woofer towards the ceiling (and play it) does the rattle disappear?

If you answered YES to all three questions, you most likely have some of the glue holding the vent port screen broken off and rattling beneath the dust cap ... I KNOW THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM FAR TOO WELL WITH my Forte II woofers. The good news is that it is as simple as removing the dust cap, shaking out the debris, and replacing the dust cap. If you can come by the dust caps (not too hard), it "can be" a DIY job if you are the confident type. I can give you tips if this is your problem.

Luck