Klipsch in-wall speakers.

Dmitry

I installed R5800-W speakers for rears in my family room last summer. They were somewhat pricey at $350 list each, got them for $250 each at Ultimate Electronics when I checked their web site just to see what they carried and found them on sale.

I would say they sound OK but best for movies, normal sound is OK but have to admit I'm comparing them to RF-35s and RC-35 across the front. Ran them as mains for awhile when I had to move my front speakers to a safe place to accomodate a party my wife had before Christmas and they sounded fine but missed the towers.

These in-walls have a switch to for treble and bass adjustment and also have a horn which pivots. They have an accurate sound but without a real cabinet you are faced with some compromises. I followed Michael Colter's suggestions for wall prep. Squeezable tube of silicone caulk applied to all the internal wall joints (drywall to studs) as far up and down the wall cavity as you can reach on all joints. Buy twice as much as you think you'll need, easier to return unused tubes than stop and go get more. Allow to dry as long as you feel is necessary, I just gave it 24 hours. Next day I stuffed fiberglass insulation as far down as my arm would reach, then worked my up using pieces cut about 12-15 inches long and as wide as the studs spacing. Same above the cutout. This formed a fair acoustic chamber since the fiberglass comes all the way to the edge of the opening. I also cut insulation pieces and wedged them along the sides of the studs next to the speakers. Used 6 inch thick insulation since one of my cutouts was in the area of a bathroom on the other side (2x6 wall). Results have been very acceptable. My walls do not buzz or rattle and although you can feel the vibrations up and down the stud cavity for each speaker it does not propogate across the entire wall.

These speakers can kick during a DTS movie soundtrack, we played something when the grandkids were over a couple weeks ago and there was a scene with a storm and lightning and such. The weather outside was gloomy but not raining yet and during the lightning strike in the movie our 5 year old grand-daughter jumped up and thought the lightning was outside the house! So they are capable speakers, just won't sound like an externally mounted speaker.

Mine are mounted with the bottom of the cutout at 87 inches above the carpetting. Compromise for the wife, I wanted them a bit lower but then they would have been close to other stuff like table lamps and such. This is a tad high when sitting just a few feet in front of them on our couch or even in a dining room chair a couple feet further out from the wall. Your room and where you sit will influence how high you place the in-walls, obviously.

These have swinging drywall grabbers which are engaged from the front with a Phillips screwdriver, you have to play with them before installing to get a feel for how many turns will be necessary or you'll have no idea when you are close to a stopping point on each corner. Mount them in the middle of the stud opening so these grabbers have plenty of room to work without interfering with the studs. Finding the best spot across the wall relative to what's inside the wall was my biggest problem (wiring, fixtures on the other side of the wall, etc.). My final locations spaced them a bit futher apart then I wanted but looked good for the entire wall.

They accept 12 AWG wire with spring loaded terminals. Nice grills, be carefull not to install them fully in case you want to remove them, much easer if you have a little of the grill to start working with using only fingers and no tools.

Hope this helps as you research your options.

Larry, thanks for your exhaustive reply. I don't think I'll want anything really fancy. I've got to check out eBay and see if I can score any decent Klipsch in-wall speakers there. This should be pretty cool once we're done.

I wish i could put a pair of Heresies in there. Actually...I might just be able to do that. In the ideal world I'd have 2 iPods hooked up to 2 Scott 299B's powering up the Heresies,

Now back to reality...