broken in SB2 vs brand new RF-62

pairadux

I just purchased the RF-62 to go with my surround system with the intention of replacing my SB2 bookshelf speakers.  I was excited to take them home, but when testing them out, I didn't notice a whole lot of difference between the two.  I was using Phantom Menace (pod racing) as my reference disc.

Could the fact that the SB2s are already broken in and the RF-62s aren't make that much of a difference?  Or maybe there's not much performance difference between the two.

Also, when I was testing music, the RF-62 didn't sound as rich as I was hoping for.  Do you guys listen to music in regular stereo, or 5 channel stereo?  My right speaker is close to a corner (about 12-15 inches away) and both are about 15 inches from the wall.  Suggestions for the speakers?

Thanks for your help, the key for me is I need to have a noticeable difference in the two in order to keep the RF-62s.

Harley

There should be a difference between the two. How do you have them setup, in the receiver? How do you have the crossovers set up? The 62's, 38hz, can go deeper then the SB-2's, 54hz.

It depends for me I sometimes like to listen to music with the 5 channel and some times I listen in stereo.

James

I had a pair of SB2's for about 3 years. I absolutely loved them. I ended up selling them. They were great speakers, but you would think the RF62's would be a lot better. The SB2's are bookshelves, RF62's are towers. Everyone on here says that it's like night and day difference between the synergy's and reference line up. I don't think you need $500 cables, but if your current cables aren't very good, you may want to upgrade your wires. Are you sure you have the RF's set/ hooked up correctly? Are they toed in at all for proper imaging? Make sure you have everything set up right before making any major moves

tommyboy1587,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've got them toed in and I do notice more base depth with them since they go much lower on the hz spectrum.  I'm pretty sure that jetjockey was being tongue in cheek with his comment, but in light of that, the cable are fine.  I'm not using the cables that came out of the box.  

I want to love the new ones, but it isn't happening yet.  I'm going to give them a few more days; I've pretty much got until Friday to make up my mind.

Will a break in period make that much of a difference?  Will they completely shine after that?

Thanks.

Here's my personal opinion on breaking in periods. When you buy a new car, the owner's manual says to break it in for a certain # of miles. If the manual for your speakers doesn't say anything about a break in period, you shouldn't need one. I know none of my speakers sounded any better after a period of time. WEll, maybe a little better, but they definitely didn't "shine". With Klipsch, you should be able to pull them rightt out of the box, and let em rock. Once again, this is just my personal opinion.