Nice ACA meeting - Khorns singing their song (and Quads not doing)

maxg

OK - that is all for the photos for now. I only posted this as the setup was simply the best sounding KHorn implementation I have ever heard. I think this has a lot to do with the amp/pre-amp combo. The owner had explained how many years he struggled to get the speakers to this level of sound and now that he has - he wants to change - to the quads - which are a transistor radio in comparison to this sound.

I dont know much about the amp but I think it is a parallel single ended implementation with 30 wpc. Those are 300B's driving it and for the first time in my experience it was a totally unstrained sonic result from this tube. We could not go loud enough to really test it - at 9 o'clock on the volume dial the thing was breathing fire. Probably says more about the potentiometer on the Cary than anything else - but it sure went loud. I am sure we swept past 100 dB average level.

As a side note - this is the first ever Cary implementation I ever liked too. As ever my synergy theory proves itself yet again.

This of course, did not help the case for the quads - which didn't go loud - at all.

Good questions and points:

The setup you see in the photo is not exactly the one that we got to play so well. We made a false corner for the left hand (as you look at it) KHorn by taking one of the doors of its hinges and jamming it in between the KHorn and the column that formed half a corner.

The TT is a chinese high end TT called the Opera - there is a separate supporting table for it that was not in use for the meeting (his wife had grabbed it for a rubber plant - what can you say?).

The Quads were the 988's - a modern day '63. Never been a big fan of them since Tony had their big brothers - the 989's.

Thanks for the photos Max! Are those Birch or Cherry Khorns? The grain looks interesting and fairly light. Agreed with the comment about improper room setup on the right khorn, but what a beauty set of electronics!

Do you remember what that material in front wall is? Is it colored glass or plexi of some type? How about the room dimensions and stated preferred 'sweet spot'?

I sent a gentleman from Greece to your club, he was looking for information on the Heritage line of speakers.

Michael

Thanks for the photos Max! Are those Birch or Cherry Khorns? The grain looks interesting and fairly light. Agreed with the comment about improper room setup on the right khorn, but what a beauty set of electronics!

Do you remember what that material in front wall is? Is it colored glass or plexi of some type? How about the room dimensions and stated preferred 'sweet spot'?

I sent a gentleman from Greece to your club, he was looking for information on the Heritage line of speakers.

Michael

Birch I think.

See the link to the review on the ACA forum to see how we fixed the improper setup issue - quite a novel approach!!

I have no idea what the wall unit was made of - it did appear to ring a bit with the higher volumes - although that may have come from other parts of the room - hard to tell.

Dimensionally the room was quite odd. It is about 20 foot wide and only 10 deep or so. The Horns are about 12 feet apart. This room connects to an adjacent room through a wide archway and most of us were sitting on or around the border between the 2. Even when seated in the other room the sonics were staggering once we had created the false corner.

If you have the details of the guy you put in touch with ACA please mail them to me and I can see if he made any contact.