Need Speaker placement recommendation.

stephenp1983

My father just purchased a lakehouse, as he is getting ready to retire in a couple of years. We are trying to outfit it with some new stuff, and stuff I currently have. Above the fireplace will more than likely be a 50 inch pioneer or panasonic plasma, not mounted, but on the stand. I have a set of synergy speakers I got for really cheap while working at bestbuy during college. I have 2 f 3's, 2 3's, 1 c3, and the 12 inch synergy sub. Probably going to buy the pioneer 1016 to push them which should be plenty. We considered buying two more s-3's for a 7.1 setup as well.

The room itself isn't great at all for a home theater room, but we want to try it. Since my speakers are just sitting in the closet as I live in a town house now we are going to use them. Below is a simple houseplan diagram i was able to find on the internet of the house. Ignore the outside design of the house, as its different. I have also included some real pictures of the room so you all can get a better idea of the room looks like. In the pictures I've added where I thought the speakers would work, but I could be way off. Any advice would be great.

Here is a link to the images at photobucket, as I couldn't get them to size right just inserting them in thread

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j81/stephenp1983/lake%20theater/

The room itself isn't great at all for a
home theater room, but we want to try it. Since my speakers are
just sitting in the closet as I live in a town house now we are going
to use them.

I agree on both counts... that open concept
is nice but makes furniture (and speaker) placement difficult. I
feel you'll have to choose their placement based on practicality rather
than on ideals. (ie: where you won't trip over them...)

I would reserve that front right corner (french door wall and fire
place wall corner) for you sub... and front speakers near those windows
on either side of you fire place. As for surrounds... well... I
guess somewhere will have to do... ;) Actually I'm not
convinced you'll have a big benefit going front 5.1 to 7.1 given you
have one row of seating in a shallow room?

ROb

well i am not the smartest when it comes to this but i would think it would be best to use one of the bedrooms as a dedicated media room instead of that living room. if you are just looking at putting a tv and some small speakers around the room, anything you do will be fine. if you are looking for the "movie" experience than you will need a dedicated media room.

if you get the plasma and place it over the fire place, then i would go with small speakers around the room, no more than a 5.1. the small speakers i am suggesting are the ones that come with their own stand or at least the ones you put on a stand and not mount on a wall.

just my 2 cents. i hope it helps a little.

well i am not the smartest when it comes to this but i would think it would be best to use one of the bedrooms as a dedicated media room instead of that living room. if you are just looking at putting a tv and some small speakers around the room, anything you do will be fine. if you are looking for the "movie" experience than you will need a dedicated media room.

if you get the plasma and place it over the fire place, then i would go with small speakers around the room, no more than a 5.1. the small speakers i am suggesting are the ones that come with their own stand or at least the ones you put on a stand and not mount on a wall.

just my 2 cents. i hope it helps a little.

Good advice there. Placement and acoustics are everything. With the high ceiling, open spaces, massive glass and hard floors- it does not look enticing for a HT experience.

I'd rather use a smaller room and proper speaker placement for a more theatre-like experience. But if he just wants music and some tv sound that room would suffice. Curtains to contain the glare from windows would spoil the lake view. Darken a room on the back side of the house. Also I'm more prone to suggest a high quality 5 channel system as trying to squeeze 7 channels in. And if you do add the 6 and 7 they would most likely be Bookshelves in the back, not Surround types.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, a large room can be very forgiving acoustically and acts as a large absorber.

The problem is that it will cost you a LOT of money for light control. I have a similar room so if you can garner any ideas from it, you are welcome to it.

I would avoid placing the front speakers against the glass wall unless you spend a lot of money on thick black out lined drapes for the first floor. I doubt you want to spend the money I did for shudders on the second floor windows, like I did.

Looks like the fireplace wall will have to be the focal point and video center.

Lovely home, by the way. I love open spaces and family rooms open to the kitchen. It seems that is where everyone gathers anyway.

If you parents have the funds, it can be done but as I suggested, it is not cheap.