Monster Power MPA 2250 amplifier

MrDecibel

I know there are alot of mixed feelings on the board about Monster products, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the Monster MPA 2250 amp. There really isn't alot of info as far as reviews and opinions about this amp on the internet. When it arrived at my door, I nearly gave myself a hernia lifting it. This thing is extremely heavy and seemingly well built. You could probably drop it off a two story building and it would be ok. The amp has great bass and mids, and the highs sound very smooth compared to the other amps I tried( Acurus, Adcom) Gone is much of the harshness at higher volume. Speaking of volume, the RF7's and the Monster seem to have endless amounts of it. I was listening to some Lenny Kravitz and Crystal Method to give both speakers and amp a good workout. I cranked it up and the digital meters on the amp showed instantanious peaks of over 300 WPC and showed no signs of even breaking a sweat. It was only warm to the touch after this workout. The RF7s sounded incredibly clear even at this level- Gee, the woofers actually DO move in and out on these things :) There was alot of travel left on the volume knob, but I actually chickened out. Low and moderate levels are also very detailed and smooth. For the price I paid, $1025 shipped to my door, this amp is an incredible bargain, a hidden gem. It is worth a listen guys. I know there has to be some others who are curious about this amp.

Congrats on your purchase. I am sure you will find this amp to be a fine piece of equipment.

I recently bought this amp and it's big brother (the MPA 3250 which is the same amp but has 3 channels instead of 2) to power my 5.1 system. I also tried to get some info on them before pulling the trigger but ran into the same difficulty finding any as you did. All I was able to find was people trashing Monster as a company for their business practices. I never did find any meaningful discussions on the quality of these amps. I went ahead and took a chance since I got such a great deal ($1700 for both and since I was to be in the area where they were located there was no shipping).

For what its worth my opinion of them after owning them for two months is pretty much the same as yours...I like them alot (of coarse I am admitedly no golden eared audiophile). Watching those damn meters is a bit intoxicating though. In fact those meters were one of the primary reasons I bought the amps. My wife likes to listen to heavy metal at extreme volumes and I am constantly concerned that she will blow my RF-7s. I thought having these meters (which, unlike most meters on other equipment, measure actual wattage) might relieve some of the concern since I could tell her to simply not exceed a predetermined reading. Telling her that, of coarse, has not worked but WOW do these bad boys push some serious power. When listening to 2 channel I am using the MPA 3250 to drive the front mains (RF-7s). Since in this configuration the center channel is unused I have the center meter configured to display total wattage of both the left and right channels and have seen that meter top 1400 watts!!!

So rather than alleviate my concerns over damaging my speakers, these meters have just proved to me that I probably will be replacing drivers frequently the way she listens to music. Oh well [:|]