DLP vs LCD

srphelps

hey guys a freind of mine has a DLP HDTV. samsung I beleive but he has to change the bulb about every 8-12 months but another freind of mine has a sony LCD 40 in HDTV for about 2 years and never had a problem with it so my ?? is how does a LCD tv light the screen or is it that the DLP makers want that keep coming back money they say LCD will last 80,000 hours but a DLP will last 3000 IF YOUR LUCKY.(from what i hear) so I'm sure all of you most likely have one or the other

If your friend is replacing the backlight with that frequency, he may want to get the household voltage at the wall plug checked, it may be abnormal. Samsung has recently released a DLP with white LED backlight, that one should draw a lot less power and last longer than a conventionaly bulb.

3K hours is about right for any projector bulb, which is what rear projection DLP and LCD units use. I just replaced my Sony bulb after 2.5 years and my Samsung one is still going strong. I'm guessing either a power problem at the outlet, not enough circulation to keep the set cool (i.e. inside of a cabinet without extra fans) or constant tv on time (read: lots of DVD's or game playing?) any of these will considerably shorten the life of the projector bulb. And while bulbs are expensive (about $200 for Sony) the picture is just like getting a new tv.

Hope this helps.