Off Topic- Auto Safety

Bill H.

My condolences.

The primary cause of the T-bone wreck (there are no such things as accidents) is running red lights. Yet when red light cameras are installed, people scream that their "privacy' is being invavded. What expectation of privacy should one have on public roads?

At least pre-Katrina, red light running was a blood sport in New Orleans. I still look twice before I move out on a green. Some years ago I was nearly nailed by a guy doing 50 (at least) up Caliborne Avenue at Elysian Fields. Claiborne is a four lane, divided road, heavily traveled and I think is marked for 40 at most and 30 in some spots. Guess what he was driving? A Volvo...

I dislike when cities put up camera lights and also switch the yellow light from 5 seconds to 2 seconds to get more money.... Its not the fact that privacy is an issue, its making it in such a way that it causes more rear end collisions as you hit the brakes to hard to avoid the ticket or when you are passing the intersection because the yellow light is 2 seconds with the redlight cam catching you. I remember Arizona did it right by making the yellow lights to 7 seconds, both rear end collisions and t bone accidents dropped dramatically.

Bill, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

It's never fast enough but by 2010 side curtian airbags are to be standard in all cars sold in America acording to the national safety comish but since the government will be involved I just tack 4 or 5 years to that plan[:o]

Many good points have been posted here now and as I always tell my wife people just don't realize they are flying along in these 1 to 2 ton killing machines[^o)]

I drive fast but I but I don't drive foolishly nor do endanger other motorist[au]