First Klipsch Theater Experience

HatTrick66

I don't go out to the movies very often since we started having kids about ten years ago, but once in a while a movie comes along that I can not wait to see. So, after watching The Incredibles on the basement system(awesome) with the family early last night, I headed out to catch the movie 300. I went to Classic Cinemas in Oak Park, IL for a 9:30 pm show. I literally have at least 10 theaters within a half hour of my house, so when I go I like to try different ones. The reason I chose Classic Cinemas (I had never been there before) was that they were showing it in digital. I had also never seen a digital showing of any movie.

The theater is big and kind of weirdly shaped. The first 25 rows are in a standard, pretty wide set up. The whole room then narrows a good 10 seats on either side and goes back about another 30-40 rows. Very long and narrow. I grab seat about half way back in the back section. I then start to wonder how all of this is going to sound with the weird shape of the room. I decided to move up to about where the room narrows so as not to be blocked from the surrounds right up by the huge screen. I have my Ipod on, so I notice the BS at the beginning is kind of loud, but I am more concerned at this point than anything after being disapointed with the sound at just about every other theater I have ever been too.

The previews start so I take the Ipod off. The sound is loud, clear, and unbelievable. I look over my shoulder and guess what was there? A Heresy hanging from the wall. I look back and see a Heresy about every 6 feet on both walls all the way back to 4 of them across the back wall. There had to be at least 8 on each wall. I don't know what was going on up front, but it sounded awesome.

I really enjoyed the movie, the digital picture, and, of course, the sound. I would highly recommend anyone in the Chicago area remotely close to Oak Park going to check this place out. It is on Lake street in downtown Oak Park.

This may make me start going to the movies again. I finally have the reference point I am trying to duplicate with my home systems.

Silversport,

It's the "Old Lake Theater" you remember. Classic buys old theaters, rehabs them and outfits them with top line gear as evidenced by the Klipsch, they started out showing 2nd run films, but now have many 1st runs. The ownership believes in a "proper" theater experience, by ensuring quiet, ejecting rowdies and even offering mints on the way out, I don't go anywhere else but Classic now.

good to know...thanks!...I just saw "Breach" last night at another theater...VERY loud but it seemed like good sound...I meant to see what kind of speakers they had at Yorktown...the movie would make a decent "made for TV" thriller but not worth $9.50...

Bill

Silversport,

It's the "Old Lake Theater" you remember. Classic buys old theaters, rehabs them and outfits them with top line gear as evidenced by the Klipsch, they started out showing 2nd run films, but now have many 1st runs. The ownership believes in a "proper" theater experience, by ensuring quiet, ejecting rowdies and even offering mints on the way out, I don't go anywhere else but Classic now.

I like the no rowdies, too. I did not have any incidents last Saturday, but I did notice some pretty stern warnings against rude behavior prior to the show. Now I will be back for sure.

Plus, I missed the mints so I have to go back.

Here's their web link so you can find their other theaters: http://www.classiccinemas.com/ BTW, if you sign up for their weekly e-mail updates, they will usually include a 2 for 1 ticket deal or free concession deals from time to time during the year and on your birthday. I know it's a cheezy reason, but with prices the way they are these days I'll do anything to save a buck toward new audio stuff.

Best of Luck!