Advise on Amp

dvcdude

I have a dedicated HT 15 x 25 x 9. My speakers are RF-25 fronts, RC-35 center, 4 RS-25's for surrounds and RW-10 sub. I am currently driving them with a Yamaha RX-V2500 and considering moving to separates. I will initially use my 2500 as a pre/pro and have been considering the Emotiva MPS-1 amp. Will buy the new Emotiva pre/pro with HDMI 1.3 in Jan/Feb of 2008 when it is released. I intend to replace my sub next year as well and will probably add a pair of RB-25's as Axis speakers. Whew!

Now to my question. I wonder do I need the 200 WPC of the MPS-1 or should I consider the IPS-1 at 150 WPC? Not sure I need 200 WPC to drive my system, but the IPS-1 does not offer balanced inputs.

Any advise?

Hey Dude, I have the same component setup as you, see my signature. Klipsch recommends a minimum wpc for whatever your speakers RMS rating is which in your case is 125wpc. So, the IPS1 would work for you without a doubt. Two things though, first off balanced cables are the way to go if you can swing it, with a much lower sound floor and secondly more power is always better. If cost is an issue , do what I did and get 5 channels to start off or 6 for that matter, and add later as needed.

If I was going to add a DMC1 or 2 which I am, I would go MPS1 for the balanced cables alone. That combo is going to friggin rock.

BTW, you will love the Emotiva stuff, first rate build quality and the sound is excellent. I really noticed a big difference in the SQ from the RX-V2500 amp section. I believe this is due to the RF83' tendency to have rather large impedance swings especially downward as far as 2.8 ohms which of course very few AVR's can handle with any stability especially when driven hard.. The Mps1 on the other hand is completely stable into 2 ohms and has unlimited power reserves for my purposes anyway.

Chris