Power surge with AC

I am getting a power spike on my stereo when the AC kicks on.

The circuit for the stereo is a 15A line and all my stuff is pulling about 5amps. Everything is behind a Panamax 5510 which is plugged into a Brickwall Surge protector which goes to wall outlet.

I don't understand why this spike is making it "into" my system.

Archiving vinyl & I'm seeing a spike on the VU meters and when the speakers are on I hear a popping and pulse.

I am worried about my tube amps and other gear & planning on calling the electrician.

The Panamax has been good about completely shutting down when "unsafe" voltage conditions occur. So maybe this is a drop in voltage when the AC kicks in? Thus forcing the Panamax into a momentary lapse?

DC

"The Max 5510 Pro contains 11 outlets, up to 9 of which can be on, and up to 4 switched to either Isolated or Balanced power for digital source components, such as DVD or CD players. Four of the outlets are designed for analog components, and use separate balanced double L" filtration circuits to eliminate EMI/RFI. And two inductorless, high-current outlets are designed to power amplifiers or powered subwoofers"

You have an unbalanced run. There are typically two 120 phases across the 220 connection coming into your home. Your AC and audio, as well as other stuff apparently are lop sided on one phase. If you balanced the load, it will improve.

It does not look like all the outlets are isolated and balanced, just a few in either/or mode. In order to barrier spikes, you need a large core troidal transformer to the tune of about 40 lbs for just the transformer. A 5000VA medical isolation transformer for example, the kind used in hospitals for sensitive life saving equipment.

My config uses a 5000VA medical grade isolation balanced transformer at the 220 connection point. The transformer config I use is 2:1 which results in the 220 being stepped down to 110. In your case, you are in 1:1 mode and have your device on one phase. This means you are using unbalanced power. You can get a medical grade 5000VA transformer in the 500 dollar to 1000 range.

The next device in my chain is a 3000VA voltage regulator that keeps the voltage constant to within .9 of a volt. ($1400)

The last unit in the chain is a 3 stage line filter. ($1200)

This problem recently started and I have been here two years.

The Brickwall is a pretty wel designed piece of equipment that is supposed to protect from some pretty fast transients.

I need to have my wife trip the AC on while I watch the voltmeter on the Panamax to see if this is a surge or drop.

DC

"This problem recently started and I have been here two years."

Something was added or moved in your house to the same phase your gear is on.

If you have a volt meter, you should measure your red bus and your black bus in your panel or ask someone to check it for you.

You should check it with no AC on, and with the AC on.

It could be reflective inductance which means at low power demands it will be neither a surge or a drop, but rather simular to an increase in line insertion loss.

Check the motor start and motor run caps on the AC motor.

• Moderators

If the AC compressor is going bad it could possibly be causing the problem, but I still don't know how it would get past all your electronic " thingamabobs '' you have in the line that should stop that.

Thanks for all the good information & ideas all.

And yeah, I've got "thingamabobs", so this isn't right, right? [:D]

I'll discuss much of what was mentioned here with the electrician; he was out here once to fix an outlet (it was wired incorrectly) on this line, the 15A for this room; he's a pretty knowledgeable guy. We talked about some audio stuff when he saw the stereo.

cheers,

DC