3D drawing of future media room

InVeNtOr

Here is the 3D views of the room. it's not finished but it can give someone a good idea of what i have, and how it would look.

1 the walls are set to "glass" so you can see through them.

2 the aft (rear) wall is missing because there is some missing dimensions to the front, aft, and ceiling. so until i get them i can't completely draw the room.

3 all the speakers in the drawing are in my Sig.

4 the et center actually reassess into the fwd wall. this way i can get to the connection from the attic, and i don't have to leave room to get behind it if there is a problem.

5 the speakers are angled the way Dolby digital suggests, that doesn't mean they will stay that way.

6 i will have a 7.1 ht, the drawing is of 5.1 because of the aft wall missing i can't acutely draw in the 2 rear speakers.

7 the sub placement is a work in progress. right now it is in the front for cable cost reasons, and ease of placement.

8 if you look carefully behind the 2 front speakers and center, there will be 1/2 hole the speaker wires will go through and then route to the back of the et.

9 the et center will hold an outlaw 990, outlaw 7700, DVD, Sony, cable box, and i have room for extras. the dimensions of the outlaw "boxes" are true in dimensions.

10 the center will sit just how it is drawn, east, neat, adjustable (a little) and will hold any center if i ever upgrade.

11 the screen is 100" (diagonal)

12 the chair will be 3' from the aft wall. it can go fwd by 18" or so, and maybe a few feet back. it will depend on the aft wall and the dimensions i am missing. also the chairs i plan on having are the 3 angles ones. i don't have accurate dimensions to draw a true scale model, for now. i will add it in once i get those dimensions.

13 if you read this far, thank you for your time and if you have suggestions, i will appreciate them. it's real easy to change a drawing, but not once the room is built. thanks to everyone. i hope someone thinks the room looks good.

If possible, primary seating position should be about two thirds distance from the front wall. As I suggested before, the front speakers should be kept as far away from the front wall as you can tolerate. One third of the way in is recommended but is unrealistic for most of us but you get the point. The further, the better. Distance from the side walls is also important and should also be as far as you can tolerate without collapsing the sound stage. The distances should not be the same, front to back vs. left to right.

It sounds like you are on a tight budget but since you will not have to do all the woodwork to recess the speakers, you might want to consider moving your AV equipment out of sight instead. It would give you more room to play with speaker placement, especially the subwoofer, avoid annoying lights, and give a cleaner look. RF remotes and hubs are readily available and have come way down in price. If you have not bought your rack yet, you could even build a shelf system into the wall.

Just tossing out ideas from someone who has been there. My wife was very adamant about room astethics and it was not hard to accomodate except for the added cable cost.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Here is the 3D views of the room. it's not finished but it can give someone a good idea of what i have, and how it would look.

1 the walls are set to "glass" so you can see through them.

2 the aft (rear) wall is missing because there is some missing dimensions to the front, aft, and ceiling. so until i get them i can't completely draw the room.

3 all the speakers in the drawing are in my Sig.

4 the et center actually reassess into the fwd wall. this way i can get to the connection from the attic, and i don't have to leave room to get behind it if there is a problem.

5 the speakers are angled the way Dolby digital suggests, that doesn't mean they will stay that way.

6 i will have a 7.1 ht, the drawing is of 5.1 because of the aft wall missing i can't acutely draw in the 2 rear speakers.

7 the sub placement is a work in progress. right now it is in the front for cable cost reasons, and ease of placement.

8 if you look carefully behind the 2 front speakers and center, there will be 1/2 hole the speaker wires will go through and then route to the back of the et.

9 the et center will hold an outlaw 990, outlaw 7700, DVD, Sony, cable box, and i have room for extras. the dimensions of the outlaw "boxes" are true in dimensions.

10 the center will sit just how it is drawn, east, neat, adjustable (a little) and will hold any center if i ever upgrade.

11 the screen is 100" (diagonal)

12 the chair will be 3' from the aft wall. it can go fwd by 18" or so, and maybe a few feet back. it will depend on the aft wall and the dimensions i am missing. also the chairs i plan on having are the 3 angles ones. i don't have accurate dimensions to draw a true scale model, for now. i will add it in once i get those dimensions.

13 if you read this far, thank you for your time and if you have suggestions, i will appreciate them. it's real easy to change a drawing, but not once the room is built. thanks to everyone. i hope someone thinks the room looks good.

Your room looks really good. You will certainly enjoy it when it is finished.

westcott, the speaker placement for the fronts can be moved fwd. i have lots of room to play with them. it does seem like a good idea to put the et further into the wall. i can deffently make the et and center flush with the wall.

well i just got the worse news possible. i will have to competely redraw everything. there is a slope i didn't know about. i am going to match it on the other wall so it not all that bad. the aft was has a big slope, i think i have a way to deal with it, it will just be up to the builder. i am going to draw it up tonight. one thing that has to change is the speaker brackets. i am going to need hanging brackets that can pivit (change angles) if anyone knows of a really good one (needs to support at least 6lbs) let me know. i am going to google them sometime later.

here is the updated room. all the dimensions should be accurate. the verbal description is 3 of the walls will have the same slope and the aft wall with have a greater slope than the other 3. the celing is 9'.

westcott,

i was able to look at the dimentions and put the chair 2/3 into the room. that ment the screen had a viewing angle of 39 point something degrees (just under 40). i also move the front speakers out more and if you look at the screen dead on the speakers are just even with the screen so they don't block any view. all the angled dimensions for the speakers are from dolby digital. it looks like i may have a speaker bracket problem on the aft wall. the brackets i have now, put the speakers at an downward angle. if you use the brackets on the aft wall, the speakers are almost pointing straight down. i need to look into a hanging bracket, i just don't want to have the rear speakers too far into the room. since i am using the 1.1's they are front firing as far as the ports go. i sholdn't have a problem with that. again once i get everything into the room i would have to play with the position. this way i know from the start that the room works with the present dimensions.

forgot to mention. orginally i thought the lh side of the room had a straight wall, well it has the same slope as the front. the new wall that is going to be built (rh wall), i am going to have them match the slope on the front and lh wall. this way the room is even.

also i got a price for the sub cable from cable solutions, it will cost less than $100, so i am going to place the sub behind me.

multi views.pdf

it looks like i may have a speaker bracket problem on the aft wall. the brackets i have now, put the speakers at an downward angle. if you use the brackets on the aft wall, the speakers are almost pointing straight down. i need to look into a hanging bracket, i just don't want to have the rear speakers too far into the room.

Won't a couple of pair of pliers, or a hammer and a vise, fix that problem? Can the brackets be modified?

Maybe you could put some blocks under the bottom edge of the bracket where it attaches to the wall or speaker?

What brackets are you using?

i don't know the name but i got them at frys. they are just basic steel brackets. the problem is imagine that you have 2 L angles of steel with a pivit in the middle. one L angle is actually angled so the speaker will face down a bit. if you put this set up on an already angled wall, the speaker will almost face down. (i know this because i drew it up and looked at the picture. it may work but it looks funny. maybe i'll just put the bracket up higher. i won't make that decision until the room is built. if you look at the drawings you will see the bracket.

the pdf is actually Inventor 10. i also used autocad 04 to do the 2d views and angle lines. inventor does those lines also but the autocad was more of a look that i wanted. everything was drawin in inventor then i would transfer a top view of the room to autocad. from there i would check the angles and dimensions.

no sillies. i don't have accurate dimensions to place what i am going to have. i am going to get (most likely berkline) the triple curved recliners. i don't know what i am going to do about acoustics. from what i understand i have to set the room up first and then do that. i will hopefully be able to bribe someone to help me out.

Well if the room isn't built yet, the best thing you could do is implement non-parallel walls. You might also take this into consideration with how you build the false wall on the front. In fact, false walls would also make you a prime candidate for an "Infinite Baffle" subwoofer...which will give you the most bang for the buck in subwoofage. You can prep corners for helmholtz resonators and maybe consider that diffraction grating thing that requires an adjacent room (like your attic). There's all sorts of things you can do now in preperation...

the room is a bonus room and it's the only space upstairs. i don't have anything except brick and roof surrounding it. i can't do the parallel wall becasue i do have some control of how the room will be construsted but i can't change 3 of the walls. i could angle one of the walls but then it would look funny. as for the sub, i put it in the back where the slope on that wall is greater this way it may have a good booming effect. i really dont' know yet but for now it's the place i would like to place it.