New XBox Elite

mas

For those keeping up with the HD format and platform wars, check out the announcement regarding the release of the XBox Elite.

Several news outlets are citing various
sources saying Microsoft plans to release the Xbox 360 Elite, a
high-end limited edition console that would retail for $479 USD and
include an HDMI connector, IPTV capabilities, and a 120GB hard drive that utilizes the new 65 nanometer technologies
, which would also bring down the manufacturing
costs of the console. This could open up the door for a price cut
before the holidays

This high end edition isnt that limited. What is the "limited" part
about it is the return to the black xbox 1 console color with matching
black peripherals etc. Once the "Elite" 360's sell out, the color will
go back to white and become the new premium sku available for all.

Additionaly the new 120 gig HD will be available for sale for 200 USD;
MS is pushing the sale of the 360 v. 2.0. For that price its still
cheaper than the PS3's cheapest sku, however it does lack the next gen
format built in. Fine for me as Id rather have a dedicated
player.

When you add all of the various mods together and then look at what they are anticipating the street price (as opposed to the suggested list price), where many are targeting $399 for this years XMAS season, the individual mods and the labor necessary to do them, do not look very attractive at all.

And as the industry pundents suggest, this will place additional pricing pressure on the competition, of which Sony is already making lots of folks in Europe very happy (sic) with their dumbed down PS3 and its limited support for PS2 games.

This move will further strengthen the XBox's position as a viable media center with enhanced storage and greater display capabilities.

No onboard HD DVD player? Why bother.

Also, that HDMI adapter better work for existing 360's, or I'm gonna go buy a PS3 and never look back at Microsoft.

[:|]

What HDMI adapter? There is no add on adapter from MS for the 360. The new 'model' has it incorporated into the unit.

And you are buying a gaming console only for the DVD player??? Oh well.

Yep, you need to buy a PS3. [:S]

I suspected that there had to be a few out there. [^o)]

No onboard HD DVD player? Why bother.

Also, that HDMI adapter better work for existing 360's, or I'm gonna go buy a PS3 and never look back at Microsoft.

[:|]

What HDMI adapter? There is no add on adapter from MS for the 360. The new 'model' has it incorporated into the unit.

And you are buying a gaming console only for the DVD player??? Oh well.

Yep, you need to buy a PS3. [:S]

I suspected that there had to be a few out there. [^o)]

My point is that there should be an HDMI adapter for the 360. There is no excuse for M$ft not offering HDMI with the 360.

Why buy a newer 360 if it doesn't do anything different, compared to the old 360? The HD DVD player onboard would be an improvement.

What is "elite" about the newer version? Will it play certain games that old 360 won't? Will IPTV not be available for regular 360 owners? I just don't see enough improvement to make me get one.

I'm sorry I've made your cute little round, yellow circles make strange faces.

It is rumored that an adapter may be created for the 360 v.1, but its just that a rumor.

As to why the HD-DVD drive wasn't included, its simple. From a business perspective MS is not going to gamble the success of HD-DVD with the 360 and the 360 with HD-DVD; leave it as optional addon which has been very successful to date. Additionally, seen the stats lately on HD-DVD vs Blu Ray sales? Ya, Blu Ray is winning at the moment. Couple that with info released internally from MS this past couple weeks of a potential Blu Ray player add on, incorporating either format really isn't worth it.

$179 for a 120 gig HD, what a ripoff

Let's see, as it requires someone to install it...if it includes installation, its not an unreasonable price.

If it does not, I would seriously explore buying an after market HD and installing it myself.

But anyone that ran out and bought the first edition of any new product simply asked for this.

Oh, and here's a radical guess that will have the purchasers of the new 'elite' fuming as well...in a year or so, as the newer larger capacity hard drives, hybrid drives and SS memory increases in capacity and comes down in price, I will hazard to guess that a new model and perhaps an upgrade will be available as well.

So, in the meantime, everyone has plenty of time to practice the crying that MS should have given you a coupon valid for a future proof model.

....Sorry, I got distracted....I was just informed that they just came out with a new model of my truck with larger wheels and a new color!

Damn them! Oh, they say I can pay to get the new wheels, but they won't give me the new tires for them!

Bastards!!!!! I will never buy another vehicle from them! I got ripped off!

Sound stupid? Seems like I am not alone... But then I find the entire idea of $500-700 for game consoles without games to be a bit, well, 'over the top' myself.

$179 is completely unreasonable, even if installation was included. I know BB charges like $50+ to install a program for you, but installing an HD for the 360 is just as simple as pushing a button to release the old one and snapping in the new one.

If someone who already has the premium 360 wants to upgrade their harddrive they are paying 579$ plus tax. Might as well buy a ps3 and get a blu-ray drive.

You can newegg a 200GB HD for 60$. I think everyone understands how new things come out prices drop etc., but charging that much money is pretty rediculous.

llama.com has a few mods to add an HD through SATA or USB. I am just saying it is definately not worth the purchase of 120gigs at 179$, hell you can buy a 150GB raptor at that price.

I'll wager that once the Elites ship, and someone rips one apart and compares to the older 360's, that several of the components have been replaced or improved in light of the overheating and other issues that the older models experienced.

I feel that I beta tested the 360 for Microsoft for $400 of my money.

The lack of HDMI was ludicrous to begin with, and now they add it to a newer model, instead of just creating an adapter.

Honestly, I could care less about the hard drive.

As for the public reaction - have you ever seen so many people pissed about an upgraded product? Shouldn't that tell you something?

$179 is completely unreasonable, even if installation was included. I know BB charges like $50+ to install a program for you, but installing an HD for the 360 is just as simple as pushing a button to release the old one and snapping in the new one.

If someone who already has the premium 360 wants to upgrade their harddrive they are paying 579$ plus tax. Might as well buy a ps3 and get a blu-ray drive.

You can newegg a 200GB HD for 60$. I think everyone understands how new things come out prices drop etc., but charging that much money is pretty rediculous.

llama.com has a few mods to add an HD through SATA or USB. I am just saying it is definately not worth the purchase of 120gigs at 179$, hell you can buy a 150GB raptor at that price.

Electronic repair labor charges are typically ~$75 per hour.

They do not charge by the minute or fractions of the hour.

To date no one has provided information as to whether the update includes labor.

I won't pay that for a hard drive, but that is not all you get for the update, so you might want to represent it accurately!

But then I won't pay $500 - 700 for a game console either, so the size of the hard drive is rather a moot point.

And as far as HDTV is concerned, the prices and protocols are evolving so fast that I would not yet invest allot in any transitory configuration. Of course I could and then become a victim and blame everyone else! And anyone doing so with the XBox or any other device intended to integrate with such equipment does so at their own peril. Its not like the info wasn't available if they choose to look or ask!

But to me, the entire genre is akin to paying $600 for a dedicated DVD player (as they were priced 3 years ago) instead of ~700-900 for a laptop computer! I will play what few games I like on a real computer.

Personally I don't care if anyone buys the thing or not. Just don't subject us to the "I'm a victim" whine. You buy any of the transitional technologies now, ESPECIALLY a first generation new format product!!!, and you should EXPECT them to evolve!

You have choices. If you choose to buy one now, don't complain to us that it will evolve or that you have to pay for upgrades IF they are offered! And don't anticipate that they will be offered either.

Gee, I have a Walkman cassette player...Sony sucks for not providing me with an upgrade path. Those bastards!

...But not to worry kids!

Soon you will have more to complain about with regards to the Sony PS3!!!

Regulatory filings indicate that Sony is planning
to release a model of the PlayStation 3 that would include and 80GB
hard drive in the near future. Due to changes within the Bluetooth
module, the company was required to file an application to request
permission to release it within the US with the FCC, which controls
products that transmit or receive radio frequencies.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Opps! My bad... I couldn't resist!