LaScalas - Minnesota craigslist

wuzzzer

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ele/302594068.html

"these speaker are about 5 years old. klipsch brand. used for only 3 years, stored the rest of 2 years.

asking $1200 or best offer CASH ONLY. you must pick up, we are in zimmerman (55398). we would like this gone by this weekend.

search under zimmtown to find my other furniture listings.

please email if you have any questions."

These are just over 30 miles away from me. They look to be in pretty nice condition. I'm going to pass, but I wanted to give others a heads-up.

I sent an email to get the serial numbers.

They don't look like 2002 LaScala's to me.

If they are 2002's, and have the AL-4 network in them.....I'll buy them and worry about how to get them later.

I got a response.

These are 1982 models.

They are 15 years old, not 5 years old as the listing indicates.

So the price, for these 1982 models, is on the extreme high side.

Speaker.........You always say $1200. for La Scala's is too high..........No it's not, not for a nice set that doesn't need refinishing, yes, each set is different, and in different condition, but a NICE pair that you wire and play, $1200. is fair. That pair I listed for my Buddy, the new owner took all of 10 seconds to buy those at $1200., which with the BEC crossovers was a great deal............Didn't you just list a pair, and what was asking price of those? Condition of speakers means more than date it was made....................

Well the point I was driving was that if these were 5 years old, meaning 2002 models, AL-4 netwoeks, k-55-x, k-77-f, etc, I would buy them for 1200. I investigated and provided my findings.

The seller was mislead when they bought them, so the listing is misleading mow that they want to sell. These are 1982 models with 1982 drivers and crossovers. To each their own on what they think 25 year od LaScala's are worth.

My take, Sure you can always buy as set of LaScala's for 1200 - 1500 if you only have 15 minutes to shop. If you have a few weeks, 600 - 800 bucks is an easy number.

To answer your question about what I had listed, I sold a set of 1980s a week or two ago and they sold on about the 6th day of a 10 day listing for a buy it now of 850. My starting bid was 650. There were 40 watchers, and about 4 folks actually bidding.

Right now, it's a buyers market. I would not mislead anyone by allowing them to think they have to pay top dollar right now, for LaScala's, khorns, heresy, and cornwalls, etc.

I have a set of 2004's avail in the 1800 - 2000 price range, and i just bought 1985 Khorns in mint condition for 1500. I would not encorage anyone to buy stock LaScalas that were 25 years old for 1200 dollars.

I also have 3 sets of Heresys with primo componets, which I will be selling soon, and I don't think they would go for more than 375. I was going to use them for a new HT room, but that project is drifting out to sea. I have the foundtion poored, and framed, but still a lot of work to do.

Most under $1000. La Scala's are beat to crap, need repainting, if black, Yes, one can stumble on to a deal, but the Best Looking ones I have seen are in the $1200. range, give or take,. Each has to be looked at, and the Buyer must make the judgement of what to pay. You could have a 2002 pair all beat to crap, or a pair of 70's vintage which are beautiful.....you tell me what's better, buyers choice...there are Forum members that have La Scala's you couldn't touch for $2000..........I'm not looking to argue, just stating my point...$1200. is not alot of money for nice La Scala's...........

oldbuckster

Thats fine, if your recomendation is to go for the 25 year old 1200 dollar ones. From a furniture perspective, that might make a lot of sense. I think we had a forum member who bought some nice LaScala's that were even signed by PWK, that's worth some extra bucks.

You can get beat to crap LaScala's for 500 bucks on ebay. In between the beat to crap 500 dollar LaScala's and the 25 year old 1200 dollar museum pieces are LaScala's that are in clean condition. It's easy to find one in the 650 - 800 dollar price range.

Below, the 500 bucks ones were what one might call beat to crap. They have the woofer access panel in the crossover area. Painted black on the front, raw birch on the back and sides, not sure what is on the top.

The 950 ones is a good example of what someone looking for lascala's can expect to find for less than 1000 bucks, but more than 800. The 950 pair are RAW birch and in very good condition. RAW birch pairs sell higher than plain black ones. If these were plain black, they would go for 650 - 800 dollars.

The 850 ones is the set I sold a few weeks ago. I offered these uo to the forum at my starting bid price of 650.

Then you have my 2004's which I put a starting bid on at 1750. The best so far is a fellow who would buy them If I can downgrade them to 70's models. That means pull the AL-4's, K-77-f's, k-55-X's, the speacialized mounting connections for bi-wire, and replace with AA type networks and associated alinco parts. He offerd 850 for a vintage version. He was mainly after the high gloss piano look finish with alinco AA functionality. If I sold him the cabs with the down graded parts, I would have to sell the AL-4 package for 1000 - 1200 to meet my sales goal for these.

Intrestingly, there are no LaScalas for sale on ebay at this moment.

List ViewPicture Gallery

Sort by: End Date: recent firstDate Listed: oldest firstPrice: lowest firstPrice: highest firstDistance: nearest first

Bids

Price*

Shipping

End Date sort_down.gif

Actions

1101083762418080_1.jpg

Klipsch Vintage LaScala Speakers, La Scala

s.gif

View similar active items

Sell one like this

Buy It Now

$550.00

$380.00

Mar-28 07:27

Listing has pictures

KLIPSCH LA SCALA SPEAKERS LASCALA

s.gif

Sell one like this

Buy It Now

$925.00

Not specified

Mar-23 14:17

2000885582328080_14.jpg

2004 Klipsch LaScala AL-4 K-55-X K-77-F La Scala

(Reserve Not Met)s.gif

Sell one like this

$1,750.00

Pickup only

Mar-21 19:54

3300987060368080_1.jpg

Klipsch LaScala Speakers

s.gif

Sell one like this

$600.00

Not specified

Mar-21 02:23

s.gif

s.gif

2000885638438080_7.jpg

1980 Klipsch LaScala AA K-55-V K-77-M La Scala

s.gif

Sell one like this

Buy It Now

$850.00

Pickup only

Mar-16 10:24

Speaker, making your print bolder doesn't change anything, the age doesn't mean that much, condition means more. If you want to buy a speaker and change this and that, swap this tweeter for that tweeter, fine ,buy cheap.................if you want a nice, wire-up and play, good looking speaker, you will have to pay alittle more...............Judging the picture of those that wuzzer pointed out, just on picture alone mind you, I think they are worth asking price......of course you try to bring the price down, that's normal horse trading...........and local pick-up means alot....I shouldn't comment I guess, I've never bought used speakers,..................It boils down to how I want to spend my money I guess, I'd rather have a nice 25 year old speaker, than a 10 year old speaker that is beat and abused...............I'd rather have NEW, but budget sometimes does not allow that...................

oldbuckster

Not sure why my MAC laptop does the bold thing...actually all the MAC's in the house do it.

Back you the original speakers that kicked this off......the listing says they are 5 years old...that means 2002 laScala's....I get excted when i see an offer for something like that for 1200 bucks....AL-4 xovers, k-55-X's, k-77-F's, nice monter cable, nice heavy duty 5 way binding post rigged up for bi-wire or bi-amp.......even if I don't need the speakers...it would be dumb of me to pass it up......however....I'm no longer excited....they are 82 models...I would not want someone to jump in and buy these becuase we all got excited about 2002 laScala's and they turned out to be run of the mill 1982 models....I stand correct...did I say 15 years old...1982 that puts them at 25 year old.....no rush or excitment on those for 1200 bucks...I've seen them cheaper....is it worth 1200 bucks...up to each to decide.