Problem with Promedia DD 5.1

mrfrostyman

I have a problem with my promedia dd 5.1 as stated in my subject. The decoder works great for a while when i use it, but then it starts making my speakers sound crackly(if thats a good description). I noticed that it starts to do it when the power adaptor starts to over heat. I tried to get a new one(same specs) but the same problem occured after a while. Only thing left to try is a more heavy duty adaptor. I know its not the speakers since i can go right from my sound card to the amp and no problems occur. I am using a m-audio 7.1 sound card using a digital coaxial connection. I am pretty sure its not the card, because i have used it with a av reciever using the same cable and no problems occured at all for over a week.

I dont think it still has the warrenty. I love the system and except for this problem its been great. I have the 5.1 set with the ultra sub. I have used the optical connection and i dont really recall having that problem, though i dont use it as often or for the length of time. When it does go off the easiest thing for me to do is hook it up to my onboard sound card to the pod on the sub. Any suggestions aside from sending it in for repair, unless its decently cheap(i spent far to much money on electronics for other people lately, and very little left for entertainment). Thanks for the help if there is any.

• 1 month later...

So when you connect the speakers directly to your soundcard, bypassing the Digital Decoder, it all sounds fine?

I know you said you know it is not your speakers, but it could be the sound card. My old roommate had one of those optical cables that was well insulated, in other words, It appeared to make a clean connection but you had to position the optical wire in just the right spot, otherwise it sounded like a record was constantly being scratched very loudly.

So, as long as you know the speakers are fine, the soundcard is fine. Try connecting your ipod or cdplayer into one of the stereo inputs on the back of the digital decoder using regular dual RCA to 3.5mm adaptor. Try that, and if that is fine, then you know your Digital Decoder is ok.

It sounds to me that the problem is the optical cable. So I'd probably start there.

hopefully this helps

-Eric

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried the cable with a regular digital coax reciever and it works fine, i have outputed the computer directly to the speakers and no problems have ever occured. I have also used my digital out(coax) with another reciever for 1 week, and no such problem occured. So it seems the soundcard and speakers have been ruled out, but i will try the mp3 player idea tonight. Is it possible for one of the parts to overheat over the span of an hour or so? I picked up a new power inverter for it today to try to fix the problem(it seems like the ones i picked up before were overheating and when they did the crakleing occured). They were 12v 1a ac to dc converters. I picked up one thats good to 3.5a so i will see what is happening. If it continues to occur, could the power connecter be broken? And yes it does sound like a scrached record. Does it happen right away or after a while?(your scratching sounds)

I bought a new digital Coax cable, but it did not help any. It seems for now i have found a solution. After a couple more hours of tweaking and hair pulling i found that the dd-5.1 was having a problem handling 48000 hz material for a prolonged period(no idea why, and only on digital coax) So i tried messing with the settings in my media player. Unchecked a whole bunch of decoders and now it works fine. I only have dts and mpeg audio on and no problems for the last hour or so. Thanks for the help, if i have anyother problems ill respond, and try to keep account on what happened with my computer setup.