I have the F2 system...need some advice

AbitNutz

I have the F2 system and a Yamaha 5860 receiver. Some configurations show more than the 5 speakers plus the sub....is there any advantage to adding more speakers and if so, which ones would I add? Sorry for such a novice question but I'm on the edge just owning this stuff.

I don't know if I really know what you're trying to ask. I'm gonna say that you have a 5.1 system? and want to know the advantages to upgrading to either 6.1 or 7.1. I run 6.1. I would love to run 7.1, but my room doesn't allow for that. You will have to make sure your room is "ready" for 7.1. In 7.1, you have side surrounds (which you will want to sit right in between them), and 2 rear surrounds (that will be positioned behind your sitting position. In 6.1, you have side surrounds, and a single back surround. It isn't AS important to be in between the side surrounds in 6.1. Here's a pic of my back wall. I think it sounds pretty darn good set up like this. I hope this answers your question.

post-16545-13819329940958_thumb.jpg

Another thing you should know is that not all DVD's are 6 or 7.1 capable. They will need either Dolby Digital EX, or DTS ES. These are the TRUE formats. Receivers can "fake" 6.1 or 7.1 of a 5.1 recording. Personally though, I think it sounds like crap. And one more thing is to make sure your receiver accepts these modes. Make sure you don't have a 5.1 receiver.