How do Tubes sound?

colterphoto1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get more bass especially at lower volumes with the tubes. The big SS amps can be turned up louder, and that is what it takes to get them to drive as hard, but I'm not trying to fill an auditorium either.

That says volumes.

Go listen to tubes

LOL OB. Now be serious. I might not be experienced with scotts but I did grow up in 60's and 70's with tubes throughtout my folks home.

And I have had some dynacos around here.

And honestly I agree tubes produce a much larger bass more rounded so to speak. And by no means am I picking on tubes, heck they may be running my system at some point. But you know sometimes folks get all caught up in the moment and things get stretched a tad[:)]

YUP, I'll put up my 299-D at 40 watts total against your Crowns or whatever

Bring it! When you run out of gas i'll be at a quarter throttle[:D]

DOUBT IT........................NON believer............Your the one who will be...[:'(].......How can anyone actually think they can explain how tubes sound in PRINT?..........Give me a break................HEARING is believing.......I own both tubes and SS........Do you ?

Wise play of words. Because you dont seriously think that a tube amp is going to out drive a big crown,qsc,krell pushing a 15 or 18 inch woofer do ya. Geesh man those things will suck the life out of ya.

===============

What is meant by "out drive?"

Geesh now Marks involved. I need to back step out of this quickly[:)]

What was meant by that was the overdampened effect that some huge ss bring Mark. Not so much big bass but the super tight bass that hits mighty hard. It appears about 700wpc get ya there when it comes to ss.

The Challenge has been thrown out there. How we gonna set this up. The Pilgrimage here in Indy Maybe? I'm up for it. Bring your amps and whatever else you want to. My neighbors can be bought off for a couple of longneckers and maybe a 1/4 or something. Lets set it up and 'get 'er done!!

HarryO

Bottom line in my case.................I was ALL SS never wanted tubes, check old posts, and then some generous forum members sent me the Scott, all I can tell you is................I'VE BEEN TUBED..............and I'm as happy as a Pig in sh!t............End of my enters in this thread.............It's almost a pointless thread anyway...........What does Chicken taste like?..........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does Chicken taste like?

Oh you are hilarious OB[:P]

Hey man I'm happy as can be that you were treated with such an awesome gift. And 'm even more happy that it has made you happy. This whole hobby is about enjoying the tunes the best we each can.

The Challenge has been thrown out there. How we gonna set this up. The Pilgrimage here in Indy Maybe? I'm up for it. Bring your amps and whatever else you want to. My neighbors can be bought off for a couple of longneckers and maybe a 1/4 or something. Lets set it up and 'get 'er done!!

HarryO

Heck Harry, I'll swing by just to hear all your cool toys.

I thought it was common knowledge that when bi amping speakers you would drive the bass with solid state and the mids/treble with tubes. Simply because tubes cannot cut the mustard when it comes down to good tight low bass.

Don't most all Scotts have tone controls. Do you have to turn the bass control way up to get good BLOATED bass from your speakers?

"you dont seriously think that a tube amp is going to out drive a big crown,qsc,krell pushing a 15 or 18 inch woofer do ya"

It might be fun trying.....

post-22082-13819330263946_thumb.jpg

SOUND, how do tubes SOUND- not tech talk about equipment please.

I'm wondering about peoples personal experiences with their reaction to the sound of tubes in contrast to what they've experienced with S/S.

Let's leave the equipment for another thread. I'm trying to decide if what I heard is a common occurence or just what can be expected.

Thanks, M.