DVD-A / SACD

toddvj

I'm going to be getting the Panasonic DVD-RP91. I'm purchasing this DVD player because of the excellent picture quality, but am somewhat excited about having the DVD Audio format for the first time. Here's the thing, with SACD players now becoming affordable, and also offering Multi-Channel sound, I'd like to have both formats available. Here's the problem: You need six-channel inputs to run either of these formats. My receiver has one set of six-channel inputs, and I know of no receiver that has more than one. I've though about using SACD for Two-Channel only, but there are a lot of Multi-Channel discs out there, and feel like I wouldn't be getting everything I paid for. I really don't like the idea of running all this High Quality sound through any kind of cheap splitter either. Anyone have any suggestions?

This message has been edited by toddvj on 12-14-2001 at 02:31 AM

There are a few players hitting the market that are multi-format players for both DVD-a and SACD (along with DVD video, HDCD etc.)

I dont know what the quality is like but it may be an option you want to consider.

If you are stuck on the idea of the Panasonic then it will not be possible to have both DVDa and SACD multichannel without providing a second set of multi-channel ins. In theory you could achieve this by putting "Y" pieces in each of the six channels. There may be a quality issue with this - you would have to try it out. Alternatively a surround sound pre-amp (or decoder) with 6 channel in might be usable if you then connect it optically to your amp.

Again this has disadvantages as it will mean you are starting with a digital signal, decoding it, re-coding it and outputting over a connection SACD is not supposed to support right now.

Bottom line - the industry is tryiing to force us all to choose. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

i purchased the panny 91 (great machine, esp. for the money) a few months back because i needed a new dvd player, wanted a progressive scan capable one, and figured dvd-a would be fun as well. (the WAf went way up when i told her we could get fleetwood mac's rumours on dvd-a) anyway, i have recently decided to replace my old cd player with an sacd capable 5-disc changer. i have a very understanding friend with an entry level, multi-channel sony sacd player (775 something) which he has let me borrow. i too have a receiver with only one set of multi-channel inputs, and so decided to try the splitter method. it may be comparing apples to oranges, but i did notice a slight difference between straight connections and split ones. it wasn't huge, but different. i will still be upgrading (and why not?) but am alos looking for either a new receiver (!) or alternate connection method. just a very long 2 cents for you. Smile.gif

david

Toddvj,

Sony has a product that might interest you; A multi-channel preamp with two sets of 5.1 channel inputs. It is called the TA-P9000ES, and was given a mini-review in Stereophile a couple of months ago. It's purpose seems to be to mate one or two mult-channel sources with an existing two-channel audio system, or with an A/V system whose multi-channel inputs are already occupied by a DVD player. It has a two-channel pass-through for the former, and a 5.1 pass-through for the latter. It also features analog bass management for SACD and DVD-A. The list price was $900. I've tried to find more info on this unit on the web, but have had no luck. Not even on Sony's web site. Maybe you can find something on it if you're interested.

------------------

JDMcCall

James, Thanks for the info. Sounds interesting. I'm not sure I totally understand though. It's a Pre-Amp, but you can use it just as a pass-through though? Seems kinda steep for just a switcher, but it is the first thing I've heard of that has more than one set. If you see any more info, could you please let me know. It would be much appreciated. On a second note, does anyone know anything about that Outlaw deal, the ICBM-1? The intriguing thing to me is that it can split the signal between 2 subs, but it had some other cool features, too. If they had two multi channel inputs, it would be perfect. Thanks Again to all.

I love the Sony player. It is the best DVD player I have owned (no comparison with my old Denon 3000 for picture).

I own around 200 DVD's - both music and movie - ranging from The Matrix, Gladiator, Alien complete set and so on to Puccini's Turandot and Mozart's Marriage of Figaro.

My favorite DVD is still Tommy the rock opera - it is the best surround sound implementation of music I have heard outside SACD.

I also own around 32 SACD's (6 more on the way from elusivedisc.com). These include MJ, Jaccintha, Celine Dion, Santana, Roger Waters and a host of classical and Jazz titles.

I do not have anything to compare the SACD performance with (no experience of other SACD players).

All I can tell you is that all of my audiophile friends agree that my sound is THE best musical reproduction in the home they have ever heard - but none of them has SACD yet.

FWIW - I would recommend the Sony VERY highly.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

Yeah, I know the Sony is great. Looks super cool, too. Little more than I want to spend, though, and when I do get an SACD player, I'd much rather have the option of multi-channel, the Sony is only 2 channel. Truthfully, I like SACD better than DVD-A, and think it is a more likely candidate for format of choice in the future (but I'd just be guessing, though), but I don't think I need it built into my DVD player. I'd just as soon get a Stand-Alone SACD player. As I said, I'm mainly getting the Panasonic for the picture quality (and it IS excellent). The DVD-A is just a bonus. If nothing else it will be a novelty that I can share with the grandkids.

Whoops, I thought you were talking about the DVP-S9000ES, not the 900. I didn't even consider that one. The reason I'm looking at the Panasonic is I'm getting a Panasonic TV. I know firsthand the quality is excellent with the RP91, and it's not a bad price, but I will definitely give your suggestion a 2nd look. That one does Multi-Channel, right?

Yes, the 900 does mutli-channel. My understanding is that the 9000 is coming to the end of its life and will be replaced soon.

Right now I would say the NS900 is THE product to buy in the combo player market. Certainly all the magazines over here are raving about it - one asking on its front cover "Is this the best DVD player of all time?"

Bit over the top really - but it seems to be a damn good player to me and at a very reaasonable price.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

Thanks for the info MaxG about the Sony 900V. I'm thinking about getting it before long or at least hoping to. Your system sounds impressive; no doubt your audiophile friends do love it. If I can just decide on a new HD ready TV, preferably 16:9 format under $3K for a small apartment(that means no 55" or 65" jobs)I'll be in business. Unlike you I am unfortunately on a budget so I can't overindulge in high-end AV equipment right now. No offense.

BTW, have you or anyone heard, read or used the Yamaha 5490 receiver? The specs look impressive with its DD-EX, DTS-ES, and PL2 capability and being THX-Ultra certified. I haven't read any reviews on it, but with those specs and at +/- $850, it looks like a good buy.

James, thanks a lot for the info!!! Looks very cool. I want it. Not sure I understand the Bypass, though. Two sub outputs, too. That's pretty cool. I only have one on my receiver. Don't know if I could figure out a way to use them though. Marshal, I haven't had any experience with the new Yamaha. But with others Yammy's, the sound quality is excellent. The remote seems much better than before, and it has the new stuff (PLII, DTS-ES). The only thing about Yamaha is it's not really easy to operate, it's one of the most complicated I've ever worked with. As for it being THX Ultra certified, I'm not sure where you got that. Yamaha is very anti-THX, and even if they weren't, you wouldn't get a Ultra Certification at 80wpc.

toddvj,

The 2-channel bypass is where you would input the signal from a two-channel preamp, so sources feeding that would remain controlled by it. The 5-channel bypass does the same thing with the preamp outputs from an A/V preamp or receiver. These pass-throughs allow SACD and/or DVD-A players to feed the same amps you are using now. Hope that clears it up a bit.

------------------

JDMcCall

ToddVJ:

Yeah, you're right about that Yamaha. I checked it out again and it doesn't have THX certification. But the specs still look good and A/V equipment doesn't absolutely have to be THX certified to be good equipment. I don't think any of the Sony ES line is(unless I'm wrong again)and those units are good. I'm still considering one of them too.