RF 35's tilt back for more bass?

twisted1272

I am putting together my theater and thank you for the help you just gave on my rs35's. Anyway i was listening to a movie and during a fight scene I leaned downward and the bass was incredible. I was basically right in front of the speaker 9 feet away. Is tilting a speaker back common, or just not done? What are the dos and do nots of speaker tilting

As I understand it, and have experienced it, moving your head, or a microphone, just a few inches can make serious differences in levels, depending on the frequency. You might want to move your listening position forward or back, or possibly reposition the speakers. I don't think just tilting them will do anything for you, as it's the room itself causing the drop in bass in that area, not the orientation of the speakers.

If you can move your speakers to the listening position, then do so, and do the "bass crawl", literally crawling around to find where the bass is loudest. Then position the speakers as close to there as possible. Generally this method is used to find the best location for a sub woofer, but it could work for your mains, too. You obviously want to keep them separated, and at equal distances from the LP, but it could help a bit.

You could always experiment with tilting them, I can't imagine it would hurt them any, unless you laid them way over. Have some friends over for pizza and beer, and right after you order the pizza, have them start moving your speakers around while you sit comfortably, and compare the bass from position to position.

I have my SF1's tilted back to the slightest degree. It's not for the bass though. I think it made the highs sound just a little better. They only stand 33 inches tall though. I sit about 14 feet away from them. To me, it did make them sound better, but not in the bass region. Do you have a sub? If so, let the sub take care of the lower hz.

To experience room modes and gain, go stand in any corner when a bass heavy song is playing..... the results will amaze you. Now think of what it would be like to have control over the room, and take that out of the picture. This is why people go to lengths to build dedicated rooms for both movie and music playback.