Verical vs Horizontal Bi Amping?

pauln

Vertical biamping means you use say one stereo amp for one speaker. For a two way one channel of the amp would drive the woofer and the other amp channel drives the tweeter.

Horizontal biamping means one stereo amp runs the woofers in L/R. Another stereo amp drives the tweeter in L/R.

Biamping with speaker level crossovers isn't nearly as interesting (beneficial) as biamping with line level crossovers.

Shawn

Rudy Bozak was big on vertical bi-amping. The theory was you would avoid any discontinuities in the sound from the amplifiers being different, plus, since the bass makes the heaviest demands on the power supply, the bass channel would be able to produce more power than it would if it had to share. In addition, there's no potential for crosstalk. Bozak speakers crossed over fairly high - 400 hz or 800 hz in the three ways - so all three problems were issues.

Having your crossover at line level gives you several advantages - chief among them that the amplifiers are connected directly to the speakers, which allows for better damping and less phase shift. Also, depending on the crossover, some designs can absorb up to half your power. Rudy B. said bi-amping would add 3 dB to the speaker's efficiency, effectively doubling the amp's output.

It should be mentioned PWK thought the above was pretty much unnecessary in a home environment, and could introduce other problems.

Also you do want some kind of protection for your tweeters - things can go ugly real quickly if you don't. A minor turn on thump for a woofer would be devastating to a tweeter.

I hope this is coherent. The new puppy is keeping me up (and o-u-t) at night...

Good luck on your project.

However, Shawn gave a big hint which it looks like you are ignoring.

-Tom

I'm not ignoring it.. in fact there is no project - I'm not looking to bi-amp, just curious about the terminology of the connection combinations.