pairadux

Hey all,

I currently run the following system:

RF-62
RC-52
RS-52
Def Tech ProSub 80
Mitsubishi 57732 DLP TV

I'm currently using a Denon AVR-685 receiver and am thinking about upgrading to the Denon 2807 with Audyssey.  Does anyone else have a receiver with Audyssey, and if so, is the improvement that noticeable?  I'm listening to 99% movies/tv and very little music, so I'm thinking about the soundstage in the context of what it's like to watch movies more than being in the middle of the concert hall (although that is an enticing thought).

In general is there that much of a difference in receivers if I upgrade to a higher priced receiver, and is it worth the money?

You guys have been a great help along the way.  During my previous posts, I was running SB2s, SC1, SS1 and with your help I've fed my hunger for a more dynamic movie experience.

Thanks for you help.

Harley 

Generally higher priced receivers within the same brand name will yield more powerful and capable amplifier sections, higher quality digital to analog convertors, more surround sound formats, more inputs/outputs. Also newer receivers have things like HDMI or DVI switching which makes connection to modern HDTVs easier if you have several devices that use those types of connections.

How old is your AVR-685?

I have the Denon AVR-4806. I have tried to cal with the audessy system two times, and I don't like the sound of it. I do use its distance adjustments, but I don't use its EQ adjustments. I leave everything flat and adjust channel levels with a craftsman SPL meter using the denon's pink noise test tool.

So If your only concern is audessy and your current receiver allows you to enter distance and levels uniquely for each channel, I wouldn't upgrade. If there is some other power increase or new functions you want, you have to weigh that too.