noise buzzing coming from the horn

bbear32

The hissing/buzing followed the speaker when you moved it to the other channel? Extraordinary!

Since hisses/buzzes/hums originate in neither speakers nor speaker wire, (unless we are talking about a powered subwoofer, which are not), a possible answer is that the speaker in question is more sensitive/efficient than it's companion speaker on the other channel, and is much more revealing of the buzz. Are the two speakers the same model and type? Are they both working throughout their range? Ironically, the speaker that is revealing the buzz may be the better speaker.

The buzz almost has to be caused by something earlier in the signal path (amplifier, receiver, preamp, defective CD player, phono cartridge, whatever) or the buzz is being picked up from fluorescent lights, or some other source, or is due to bad line level , or possibly phono level, patchcords ("interconnects") with those terrible little RCA plugs on them, in which one connector not working -- caution: do NOT wiggle, plug or unplug these without all power off, or you may send a maximum level signal through your system, which may destroy your speakers, and not be good for your ears).

A good dealer should be able to walk you through finding the buzz.

Sorry you have not had a reply before now. All us here try to get you a response in a speedy way.

Perhaps you can give us more information. You'd be surprised, we sometimes get a question like, "My speaker doesn't work, what do I do." But the correspondent fails to mention he just bought it second hand.

No insult to you intended, of course. It is just that the more detail, the better the chance of trouble shooting by remote control, here.

1) Is it a hiss, or a buzz? Or can you explain it better.

2) Does it hiss and or buzz all the time. I..e. is the noise there with the amp off; amp on, no program; amp with program and makes an odd noise in addition to the music? Anything like this.

3) Is this a new installation or did this just start after a time of trouble free operation?

4) If trouble free previously, have you changed anything recently? Sometimes problems develop after being driven very loud.

5) Does the speaker otherwise work okay? Did it before?

6) Are you sure it is coming from the horn and not the woofer.

Often hiss is because of a noisy amp. But if you switched to the other feed and the problem follows the speaker, it is something with the speaker.

We have had reports of speakers picking up TV raster (induced magnetic field) or perhaps noise on an a.c. line caused by a dimmer (r.f. noise). When you changed the feed, did you also shift the location of the "bad" speaker? These should be related to physical location. Things like this have been reported with the speaker connected to nothing.

So, please give more info.

Gil

You'll have to describe the buzz a bit better...

I wonder if one of your drivers just didn't become a little loose on the horn. I'm not sure if the KLF's are using screw on or bolt on drivers, but it can't hurt to give it a little tightening down.