Need TT help/hum coming out.

mowntnbkr

Banging my head here guys. I have a TD160 mkII with an sme 3009 improved w/ removable headshell. I am getting nothing but hum out of it. I have it hooked up to a BBX and VRD's and I also hooked it up to my sx-1280 just to verify problem is indeed with the TT, which is the case. I broke out my trusty voltmeter and started ohming out everything. From headshell to rca connectors everything checks out fine. But when I measure between the rca ground and chassis ground the right channel reads 0 ohms, but I am registering an open between chassis ground and the left channel ground. I am assuming the chassis ground ties into the left and right channels at the bottom of the pillar, and then I run the ground cable to the back of the BBX. Is it as simple as the cable being bad? Any input is greatly appreiated.

Are you using thethe stock, 3009 cables and connectors? Those things are horrible, they almost always go bad. You might try remoiving the chassis ground all together. Just run the ground from tonearm to the BBX. Wish I had more time to think about it but I've gotta run to a birthday party!

I had the same problem with my Dual TT. When I would connect the ground wire as specified (painted metal), I got nothing but hum...So, I connected the ground to a screw that fastens the metal case, so that the wire is sandwiched between the screw and a bare washer. Not a hint of hum now!

Dale

Sme 3009 cables are often very "buggered" up so with out some pictures, it might be hard to tell what you have going on. Typically, there is a 8 to 12" ground cable coming off the harness ground terminal that is supposed to be attached to the turntable chassis. Did you try NOT hooking this ground cable to the chassis? Just let it lay loose. This is the first and easiest thing to try.

I've had other SME 3009 harnesses that required sliding the rca connectors in and out of the preamp just a bit to get it just right.

The best thing I ever did was buy the RCA upgrade kit for all my vintage 3009 tonearms. Seller on Ebay has them for around $50. Eliminated all hum and cable hassles for me.

I unhooked the chassis ground from the TT, haven't tried it yet though, because I am reading very low resistance between the center conductor and the ground of the rca jacks. I will give it a shot here in just a few with the ground disconnected from the TT. I will also take a pic or two of it . THanks.