Rega Apolo cdp

jpm

Awhile back I just about traded my Rega Planet cdp for a new Rega Apolo cdp. I'm now financially ready to do that and wondered what any of you thought that may have "actual hands on experience" with these two players. My dealer will allow me $400 trade in value for my Planet, so the difference will be $600 + tax. It's not the money I'm worried about. I've read some glowing reviews on the Apolo (The Stereo Times). I asked my dealer yesterday how much difference between the two and he said maybe not $600 worth... however, he did say the Apolo is very, very good, and they can't keep them in stock. He'd have to order one with a two week wait; no big deal to me.

So, any thoughts?

I bought an Apollo in December and it feeds a McIntosh 6500 which drives my Klipschorns with AK-3 x-overs.

Build quality is excellent.

Sound quality is excellent.

However, I doubt the sonic upgrade is anything you will hear. ( I heard no audible differences)

So buy it for aesthetic reasons or simply because you want a new player.

I bought a new Apollo about 3 months ago. I replaced a Dynaco CDP-2 tubed player. The difference was very notable. The Apollo is a unique and superb sounding CDP that really narrows the gap between digital and the best vinyl analog. I brought the Apollo to a shootout a few weeks ago and the 8 or so people there also thought it was better sounding than the other players we tried that day. I thought it was well worth the price. So much so, that I am considering upgrading to the Saturn in a few months.

I was a little disappointed in the plastic construction. It doesn't really look or feel like a top end component. If that's what you are looking for, this isn't that. Most people could easily mistake it for a $69 DVD player form Best Buys. It's not impressive in that regard. However, I don't care because it sounds fabulous. You are paying for a newly developed state of the art chip set and better sound than you will find in most players. If you care about sound more than appearance, this might be the right player for you.

I have to agree with what Marks has said regarding the Apollo. We compared it to a couple of other very nice cdps and the Apollo was quite remarkable. Hard to say what that is worth in $ but I quite sure you will be impressed.

Josh

Everything Mark said is so true, very good cdp!!! I upgraded to the Apollo two months ago from an old yamaha 5 disc changer and the difference was amazing!! You will enjoy!!!

This may be sacrilegious, but I wish they would put this new chipset into a 5 disk changer. I think that one of the great benefits of the cd is to be able to shuffle a mix of cds.

From what I understand, the improvement with this player is due to the chipset and not with hocus-pocus pointed feet or heavy metal case. If its true that what really matters is the chip (and I believe that to be the case) then there should be no sound fall off with a changer.

Josh