DTS-ES or DD-EX for pre-wiring new HT

BLOOMIS914

Can someone please help me. I am building a new HT in my basement and am wiring now and want to know if I should use a single, center rear channel OR a pair of rear surrounds (left and right rears) for the back wall of my home theater. I want to accomodate both formats (DTS-ES and DD-EX) so common sense tells me I should wire a left and right rear channel on my rear wall.....

Of course this is in addition to my basic 5.1 setup with current 5.1 surrounds to be mounted on side walls just behind seating position.

Any comments or suggstions??

I will be using Klipsch Chorus II's, KLF-C7 and KSP-S6's with a KSW-15 and KSW-100 subs. I will also be buying a Front projector and have a 106" diagonal screen (52" x 92").

Brett

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

Sounds like you are going to have a very nice setup. A few thoughts...

While you can, put in wire, or at least conduit with a pull string, for whatever you even remotely think you may want in the future. Speakers, lighting, home automation, etc.

I would use 12 gauge architectural speaker cable.

Make sure the job is done to code.

hey brett, what are u usin for the basement pre/amp wise? besides the subs you'll need 6 or 7 speakers & the processing & amplitude to do ex or es. it's worth it though Wink.gif

if u do that you'll want wires for 1 or 2 speaks on the rear wall. i use a single C7 for a rear surround, but it's on the short wall. 2 rear surrounds may be better for u. more is better, right? Smile.gif

& i'd use direct radiating speaks for rear surrounds if it's feasable for u.

i can see your equipment on your list but can't tell what's available to go where. & looks like additionally you'll need a new decoder or matrixing device as well as 1 or 2 more amp channels to do matrixed DD EX &/or DTS ES. for DTS ES 6.1 discrete you'll need that specific decoder.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-16-2001 at 02:44 PM

Brett,

I highly recommend that you run wires to EVERY conceivable future speaker location now, while your walls are open. The center rear (for a single rear), two off-center rears (for double rears), the rear corners (for music DR surrounds), the side walls (for wide-dispersion surrounds), and the fronts. You might even consider some wires up high, in the ceiling maybe, for future "height" effects. Maybe more up there for a projector? If you have the option of doing so, conduit with strategically located pull boxes would future-proof your room.

Have fun planning!

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff