Question about speaker stands for RB61s. Are they safe?

sethhobrin

I was thinking about picking up these stands for some RB61s I am probably getting for rear 7.1 surrounds. I have never had bookshelf speakers on stands before. Can any of you tell me how easily these things tip over and how securely the speakers are situated on top of the stands. Are these things dangerous?

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/ProductDetails/line/speakerFoundations/pcat/natural/modelCode/NF36/

This is the model I am considering for RB 61s.

Those stands should work. I have my RB61s I use for my mains on some similar stands and I have not had any issues. Now that may change now that my daughter is starting to walk. I guess the most important thing will be to make sure the speakers are balanced on the stand. The RB61s are about 13 inches deep and the top of those stands may be only 4x4. May I suggest wall mounting the RB61s for your 7.1 application, if that is an option. I am using RB61s for mains and surrounds in my 5.1 set-up and I have the surrounds wall mounted using B-Tech BT77 mounts. The work really well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-312AR1Mdsq9/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?search=BTech+BT77&skipvs=T&g=15830

You should be OK as long as you don't have any small children or drunk girlfriends[:|] Some people use a double sided tape to secure the speakers. I can't recall if there is a mounting screw with those speakers and stands. I think the RB81's have the mounting hole on the bottom for stands.

try SANUS steel foundation SF22 or SF26 stands I'm using SF26 for my Klipsch RB75's which are bigger than the RB61's. These stands have a hole in the center plate to screw to the bottom of your speaker so it can't be tipped over. These stands are pretty solid and I have a 20month old baby running around. I'm using these speakers as my front's and will be moving them into a dedicated HT room.

GOOD LUCK!

• 2 years later...