Allan What's The Going Price For SME 3012

Gilbert

Three years ago nice ones sold in the $500-$600 range--you could still buy them BRAND NEW (the 3012R--maybe the best of the lot, really--similar to a series 1) from SME until 2001--the price was $850 from Flat Earth Audio.

Now that they are no longer in production and also because idler drive tables have become so very hot, they sell for about $1000-$1100 on average in excellent condition.

Do you want one for your Thorens? How do you like the 3009/SPU combonation? If you really love it, then MAYBE it would be worth stepping up to the 12" arm. You can sell the 3009 for $400-$450 to lessen the pain.

I went from a 3009 to a 3012 about 10 years ago. Much more forgiving when dialing in a cartridge--tracks the torture tracks on the HiFi News record much easier.

Does it SOUND any better? Maybe, but not by a landslide, that's for sure.

Thanks Allan,

Yes it's for my TD124 mk II. I love it, especially with the incognito kit that Michael of Britaudio installed for my SME 3009 (series II, early edition). As for sound, I am very very pleased with it, and I am a true believer in TT over CD, ANY F'ING DAY OF THE WEEK. The thorens is currently not hooked up with the new VRD amps, which I just installed this past weekend. If all goes well this week, I'm hoping to get everything back up and running this Saturday or Sunday. No way I'm working this weekend. I will not sell my 3009, it's too clean and I won't get my money out of it, not with the incognito kit installed. But if the difference is not that great between a 3009 versus a 3012, then, I may as well stay with my 9". I was just wanting to play around with it, and if it was significantly better, then I'd definitely make the switch.

Also, as much as I love the job you did for me in refinishing my orig. thorens plinth, I'm seriously thinking about getting someone to make a custom plinth from some left over Cocobolo I have? Do you know anyone who can do a professional job? Rounded corners and all.

My house is a mess right now. The mac system is on my drafting table in my small office, along with 2 Khorns, 2 Ind. Heresys, 2 Academys, and 3 cornwalls... book shelves, PC table and PC, 2 filing cabinets..... MAN!!! it's getting crowded in there. I need a bigger house, or home office for sure. I think Travis is coming by this Friday to pick-up some cornwalls, which will certainly give me more room.