WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO TIGHTEN TUBE SOCKETS?

HarryO

Craig, I found that I can use a dental pick on some tube sockets. Craig not knowing much about the electronics of tube amps I only clean and tighten the tube sockets after the amp has been off and unpluged for a good week. I heard that the capacitors can hold a charge for a good while and figured that letting the amp set for a few days at least is a good idea is this so or am I being way over cautious?

I don't have any loose. Only 1 socket in the last couple of years loosened up and that was my fault messing with cheap, bent pins, (trying to eyeball pins straight) and used tubes I had laying around. It was accessible from the underneath side and I just used an "Exacto" on it. I was just wondering if there was a preferred method that held true "across the board" if you may.

I hate to bring it up and "knock on wood" I don't have any problems at all with my tube stuff. It's been as dependable as any SS I've ever owned except maybe Crown. I have NEVER had a Crown give me the first minute of trouble. I don't have trouble with my electronics. Tubes are just as dependable as SS if you use the proper equipment. I know this will start crap right away but I HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH TUBES. Very dependable.

HarryO

Harry,

Well then the answer is variable. The best method is what ever it takes to make the metal contacts for each tube pin hole grab the tube pins firmly. This can usually be accomplished with a pointed dental pic type tool. Radio shack sells this little soldering accessory kit with various yellow plastic handled tools for like $6 that usually gives you all you will need. Some sockets have a C shaped contact that you simply tweak from the top and bottom of the C to close the gap in the C shaped contact. Others have crab like claws that are a good bit harder to get behind and tweak them closed. I prefer the C shaped for ease of tensioning and larger contact area. It is also just as important to clean the sockets with quality anti-oxidizing contact cleaner and preservative like Caig Deoxit.

Craig

Please let me urge some caution when working around or on some of those socket pins. Doesn't matter if your amp is turned off and uplugged. You've got to be sure that capacitors have bled off before poking around in there. Touch the wrong one before the charge has dissipated, and you become the path to ground. Carefully check the storage charge with a volt meter, if you know how to use one, before doing anything inside.

Erik