Ok, so I'm selling these KG4's....

Now that I have heard them......I'm not a fan. I like the horn but I hate the 8's. The 8's don't put out a warm mid and the passive radiator has little to no warmth. I powered them via my Harman/Kardon PA2200 and I think that should have been plenty of clean power. Anyway, here is my new plan. I only paid 10 bucks for these KG4's so I thought I would sell the 8's, radiators and the cabinets separately on ebay. I have plenty of MDF laying around and and some free time so I'm thinking about using the horns and upgrading the caps in the original crossovers as I have heard out here that the difference is not subtle and for the better. I'm trying to decide weather or not to build a center channel using one of the horns or rebuild some new cabinets. If I decide to build cabinets I will have these on a high pass x-over so all I'm looking to do is find a good warm midrange speaker preferably a couple of 6's. My subs will take care of the bass line. What do you think might be a good warm mid and any ideas on cabinet design would be very welcome. Also weather or not I should even consider building a center channel with this horn.....or build at all for that matter.

You got a great price for the KG4's. What are the main speakers you would be using with your new center channel? That's a pretty significant issue. One thought would be to sell your KG4's intact and just purchase a center speaker. It may or may not be easy to build one that is a decent match to your mains.

I will either continue using my JBL L100's or I was looking at getting a pair of JBL L112's. I will only look at purchasing the L112's if I decide to build a center channel out of the KG4 Horn. I am currently using a Klipsch RC-64 center that I think is sweet. The main reason for building either new cabinets or a center out of the KG4 is that I have the free time to do it and I love building things.....plus i have everything I need minus the woofers so i can keep the cost down. I have another room that needs speakers/center channel so I figure weather I build cabinets or a center I am one less thing that I will need for this other room.

LOL Not a chance. I just saw a set of four k-8-k's sell for $104 on ebay. I already parted them out and just for fun built new oak cabinets for the horns. I matched them up with Some JBL Woofers, ported them and changed the crossover points. They sound excellent. Look on ebay though. There are several pieces of KG4s for sale. Thanks for the offer though. [:D]

Compared to some of the other horns by Klipsch, I think you might find them horn tweeters in the KG-4's to be a bit lacking too [:o] Though you're talking completely different price points so maybe that's not fair.

Which JBL's did you end up going with?

I agree that the horns are lacking a little here and there in the beginning. However, I built the new cabinets because I enjoy the fun of the build and the progressive change. What I ended up with from the start was a slightly harsh tweeter and a slightly lacking woofer which I expected due to the small woofer against such a bright tweet on a state of the art amp. I have several small bookshelf speakers sitting around here collecting

dust so i decided to start doing a little Frankenstein work

matching them to the horn. I had started playing with several different 6 inch woofers because I wanted to keep the cabinets small but powerful. Ideally an 8 would have worked but I was set on keeping these cabinets smaller. Amongst the ones i own and am willing to take apart the JBL 6's from a set of 2600's were a good match with the horn. I'm looking to do a real upgrade on the 6 when I find the one that I'm looking for. The 2600 6's come from the factory ported and I was planning on using a sub to take care of my low end. I set the crossover points a little higher on the tweet side and I used a potentiometer to dial down the tweets just a little to make up for that insane brightness. I didn't like how much mid the horns were taking care of in the Kg4. That was a big part of my lacking woofer problem. Anyway, after replacing all the caps and coils on the crossover and changing the points I have ended up with some of the best speakers I have ever owned and my list isn't small. I am far more of a car audio person then a home, but lately I have become glued too a home theater possibility due to my on going love for movies. I'll change the 6's to something with a little warmer mid but in the mean time I'm happy. Bellow are some pictures of my cabinets. The backs show the KG4 Crossover and are ported in the center top region. I don't know why I forgot to take a shot of the back. Its late but maybe I'll take some tomorrow. I haven't put the grill cloth on yet but I will. You can see the particle board in the pic. It will pressure fit in once I cover it in cloth. Posted Image

Thank you. I used 3/4 medium density fiber board for the inner box and about half a million coats of flat black RustOleum followed by some solid 3/4 oak for the outer casing and stained it in red mahogany. I purchased all of it at Home Depot. [:D] I'm very happy with them. Thanks again