Dead pixels in flat panel LCD TV's

T2K

Last night I noticed a dead pixel in the Toshiba 37" LCD TV I bought about 12 days ago. I have watched the TV very little since I bought it but I'm sure I would have noticed it had it been there earlier. I'm wondering if dead pixels develop with use over time or if there is a some external cause for the condition. I know basically nothing about the matter.

Should I take the TV back and exchange it or is the chance of getting another set with the same or worse condition a possibility?

Other than the pixel issue I'm terribly happy with the TV. Great picture and good sound with the built in speakers. I use it in a bedroom BTW.

Keith

I had the same problem when I got mine. I took it back where I got it and it worked fine at the store. It was my Satellite receiver. (DirecTV)

Change signal source and see if the problem persists. Then decide to take it back or not. You can do a google search for common problems with tv's. I bought a 1 year old used Mitsubishi about 6 weeks ago with a problem. I searched and found something like "FIX YOUR OWN TV" websight. They have hundreds of models listed with common problems and the fixes. They even have Live Tech Help in some cases.

Good luck,

HarryO

Keith, having a dead or stuck pixel is actually pretty common on lcd's. I have a white (stuck open?) pixel on the right side of the screen on my Sony 40" XBR1. I cannot see it past about 3 feet from the screen so I decided not to exchange it. We sit about 8/9 feet from the tv. This pixel was bad right out of the box. The way I understand it, faulty pixels ussually occur during the manufacturing process of the panel.. Not after. I have had this tv for well over a year now and everything has been fine. No more bad pixels. If this pixel bothers you, exchange it. Have them hook it up and check it out at the store before you take it home.

Take care

Mike

Thanks for the comments. I guess if I had a little spare time I could have done a search of the topic.

Mike, I only noticed the pixel (color changes) as I was sitting about 30" away at my computer desk. Looked up from my computer monitor and there it was, a speck on a black screen. The TV sits on the desk for now, I have a wall mount that I hope to use in the next day or two. The speck is not noticeable from a few feet away, as you said. I guess I'll keep the thing and hang it on the wall tomorrow.

BTW, I've always been a Sony tube dude. This Toshiba seems to give the SXRD a run for the money. The competition ain't over yet though. Not by a long shot. I'll post my thoughts on that matter later.

Thanks again.

Keith

if its a dead pixel or stuck you can try and massage it, It works with some success. No fingernails and nothing that will distort the screen like as much force when you were little and pushed on the lcd screen on the calculator to make it go all fuzzy. Just use tips and gently massage it and sometimes it will work again.