For Sale -- Electro-Voice Patrician IV

kburr

Probably your best bet is to put it on ebay. These monsters sometimes sell for well over $5,000. Please resist any temptation to "part it out." Pat-IVs are history, and should not be destroyed. You also might want to contact a "Craters and Freighters" to get an idea of what the shipping will cost, as people will want to know.

I'm assuming you've got one. If there's a pair, you could be well into 5 figures. Whatever you were driving with it (the amp, tuner, turntable, etc.) may have a fair value as well.

Good luck with it. I sometimes wish I hadn't sold mine.

There were several different Patricians, starting, logically enough, with the Patrician I, then Patrician II, Patrician III and finally Patrician IV. The later Patricians - the 600 and 800 - were completely different speakers. Anyway, the Patrician I had a multi-cell tweeter -it will look a bit like a egg box - on the left side of the cabinet as you face it, about a foot and a half down from the top. If you hold a flashlight up against the grill, you should be able to see inside. The II and III had a T-35, which will look like a vertical slot with a round screen in the middle. All three of them had a twelve inch mid-woofer mounted in the top of the cabinet, Again, you should be able to see it with the flashlight. If you look on the back, there may be a paper lable with the particulars. The Pat IV was a different design, a bit taller and narrower, and you got into it from the front instead of the rear. Instead of the midwoofer, there was a rather odd looking contraption that bounced the sound off the back of the cabinet. They also had a variety of different tweeters which can really kick the price up.

The earlier Pats go for $2,500 to $3,500. The IVs can go for much more. Be prepared for offers from Japan.

I'm not sure if this is universally true, but if you count the complete brass "footballs" formed by the metal trim on the grills, a Pat IV had 8 and the earlier ones had 7.

I really wish I'd followed my instincts and at least not sold the Pat III I had. A pair of those would have been something!

Can you post a picture?

The 700s had an 18 woofer, optional T-350 horn tweet instead of the T-35, and the Ionovac ultra purple glowing gas tweeter by DuKane. This model will have an extra amplifier for the Ionovac on the same side as the L-Pads. It will mount down low next to the floor. I've sold 2 pairs and a single in the last year. $5,000.00 for one pair, $8,500 on the nicer second pair and $2,500 for the 700 single. Mine were all working excellent when sold. I sent Arfandbark, BEC, and maybe Colter pics of them before I sold them. They may still have the pics. I may still have complete literature copies of the original sales and service brochures laying around. I should.

I'd love to see the pics.

Harry

hbailey1@earthlink.net

Come to think of it now, there was also an optional 30" woofer. The cone I believe was made of foam. I read the military was doing experiments with it as a "Sonic Weapon". I saw a couple on Ebay a year or so ago. I think the seller wanted around $3,000 for it alone. He may have had two new in the box total. Also a used one sold for $1,800. Best I can remember.

Harry

Don't pry!!!! On the one I had, there were little brass screws in the middle of some of the rosettes at the tips of the "footballs." (The rest of the rosettes had rivets.) Take those out and the front frame will lift up and out.

It's definitely a Pat IV.

Thanks for that tip--very helpful. I have an interested person who thinks in may be a 700 which was available for special order. I am wondering if there's any way of finding out from the company by giving them the serial number which is handwritten on the back of the speaker.

Boy, I don't know - EV has changed hands so many times. It's worth a phone call though. I called them, admittedly 20 years ago or so, and they gave the number of the guy who helped design the later Patricians. He was retired in California and still miffed that EV had dropped the big guys from the line.

I'm pretty sure it's not a 700. Those came out in the sixties, and had a 30" direct radiator woofer.

• 2 months later...

There is one in NJ with out the shell (shell is commonly used for wine racks) for 799.   It's on ebay.  The seller has been trying to sell for over a year.  Started at 3000.....current price is 799.  They're like lay's potato chips...no body wants just one.

• 3 weeks later...