Has anyone changed Heresy's bass drive with scan-speak or other good midwoofer?

P Ward

I'm trying to find a beatup pair of heresy's to use as surrounds. The physical size of the heresy is too large and I was thinking about using a scan-speak, vifa, seas or shiva in a much smaller enclosure. I know it can be done, just has anyone done it? Which mid-woofer would work best? It would not need to go below 80 hrz.

------------------

Paul Ward

my home theater www.brookesbakersurveyors.com/klipschht.htm

I haven't actually done what you want to do. But I have given it some thought in the past. It is certainly doable, but I don't think you are going to save all that much on size. The size of the squawker will be the controlling factor for width and depth.

The job will be easiest if you can find a smaller, say 8", woofer with the same efficiency as the one in the Heresy. I think it should have a paper cone for best timbre match with your other speakers. You choices are going to be limited. I don't recall finding a good choice for an 8" woofer in the manufacturers you listed. I think I found something that was close made by Pioneer. Assuming you can find a suitable woofer, you may have to tweak the crossover between the woofer and squawker a bit to compensate for the difference in high frequency rolloff of the woofer. It might just be adding a cap across the woofer.

Another possible source for the woofer is Klipsch. You may be able to find one with the appropriate efficiency that is available as a replacement part.

If you cannot find a smaller woofer with the same efficiency, you will have to tweak the crossover to reduce the levels of the squawker and tweeter to match the less efficient woofer. You may be able to do this by changing autotransformer taps the squawker and tweeter are connected to. Doing so may necessitate changes in the values of the capacitors in the network as well.

I too have considered a modification to my Heresys but for different reasons. <I finally talked myself out of it because the heresy tweeter only reproduces to 17000 hz (perhaps this is limited by the crossover..others here can tell me that). I wanted to increase the depth of the bass of the Heresy. In any case, the mod I was considering would need a radically redesigned crossover (well past my field of knowledge).>

For your needs, I look back at my notes from my now mostly scrapped mod. What Malcolm said about the smaller woofer with great efficiency is true. The cone speaker portion of the cone/horn combo speaker is the limiting factor.

For a smaller footprint, I think you can easily turn the midrange squawker 90 degrees a la Cornwalls from the early sixties. I think this will improve the separation of the channels.

Mounting the bass driver may be able to be achieved by mounting the driver on the side of the cabinet a la Klipsch RP-3 and RP-5 (as well as NHT towers and a few others..keep in mind that the Klipsch versions of this design use internal amplifiers to power this bass/sub speaker). BUT! Keep in mind that the Heresy squawker is crossed-over at 700 hz, so any speaker handling frequencies 699hz to somewhere around 80 hz (correct me on the exactness of the bottom frequency here) is directional and would need to be mounted on the front of the cabinet. The Klipsch 6.5" (K-1081-SB) cerametallic driver is capable of at least 50 hz to about 2600 hz (see RB-3 specs), and is used by Klipsch in speakers with efficiencies similar to the Heresy, so this would be a good candidate to replace the 10" woofer..not sure how this speaker would work with the Heresy crossover. Certainly the cabinet would need a redesign to optimize the bass characteristics. Keep in mind the RB-3 has a rear mounted bass reflex port to produce the 52hz bottom frequency. The RP-3 used virtually the same driver with a different part number (K-1081-S) for its midrange and was crossed over on the lower end at 90hz (where the sub took over). The RP-3 was a sealed box (like the Heresy).

Good luck on your mod..but if I were you, $650/pair retail (less by mailorder) is not a lot to pay for a speaker with similar characteristics to what you are talking about but with less hassle and the frequencies 17Khz to 20Khz to boot.

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10