Heresy Refreshed

Cody_Mack

I have upgraded the caps in my Heresys; finally, after about twenty-three years! Not that I really thought they needed it. They sounded wonderful with my 2A3 amps. I didnt go with anything elaborate; bought Solen caps, on price and I guess they are somewhat popular and recommended. I also wanted to do it just to get my feet wet with some more DIY; a little scratch build, if you will.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I had to sort out mounting for the caps, especially the 33 uF, which is huge; much larger than the one that came stock. I guess because of the voltage rating is the reason it is so large? The 400V is the smallest I could find in the Solen.

I removed the stock terminal strip; and replaced with a solder strip. All the wiring is now point to point; that is, soldered and no mechanical connections. I have a hard time seeing how the terminal strip using compression lugs and screwed connections is a good idea.

Anyhow, about the sound: I believe the treble has opened up some. My speakers are elevated; about 22 to the bottom and the tweeter is slightly lower than ear level while sitting in my computer chair. I had recently changed them from sitting on (1) a sort of end table and (2) a filing cabinet to now some nice speaker stands that I picked up at the LSAF. I had not yet gotten used to that sound difference at about the time I did the crossover mods, so I am not sure what I am hearing. But I definitely think the highs have opened up. Seems like I am hearing slightly better imaging and possibly a little more depth in the stage. I think what I mean is that there is more air around each instrument. Heck, I am still just learning how to listen to music, and I am having a blast with it. Also I think I here a big difference in the sound from XM Radio online; now that is saying something!

Now for the bass. Damn if they dont have some now! I am not sure if I like the flavor of it yet, but there is definelty more bass there. It does seem a little clunky; not real smooth, if you will. It is not muddy or boomy, it sounds more like something is just slightly overdriven or distorted. Will that get better and smooth out as the caps break in?

Anyhow, I am excited that I pulled this off and they played music on first power-up. Now I want to take the next step. I guess I would definitely gain some sonics by upgrading the choke with a high quality air-core. What do yall think of the copper foil inductors? And that other transformer; I dont understand its purpose. I believe I have heard it called an autoformer? How do I upgrade that one?

Anybody have recommendations for the 33 uF cap? A boutique cap in this range could be very expensive. Does it really matter, as this cap is doing low end duty?

This has probably been discussed a few times over already. Just say so and I will do some more searches. I just like hearing other opinions.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks for the run-down, I hope to get into this project soon.

Did you do one at a time so you could A/B the sound? There's only one chance to do that and I'm amazed that more people don't take the opportunity to really listen to the changes they make.

Congratulations on the upgrade and especially on "doing it yourself".

Personally, I would give the speakers a listen for awhile before doing anymore "refreshing". But...that's just my opinion.

Thank you. I will give them a listen for a while. Heck the last upgrade took 23 years!

You are up very early. You want those Horns really bad, don't you. Let me know if I can assist with that effort. Good Luck!

Rick

Thanks for the run-down, I hope to get into this project soon.

Did you do one at a time so you could A/B the sound? There's only one chance to do that and I'm amazed that more people don't take the opportunity to really listen to the changes they make.

While I did the upgrades a couple of days apart, I did not go to any extra effort to A/B them. Just left them in their normal position connected up normally. It's hard to compare that way as you get different sound coming from left and right channels.

I am not hearing a drastic change. Like I said, they were sounding very good with the stock components. I guess what I am hearing is akin to doing a scheduled 100K service on your car. It's definitely going to run better, and you get the peace of mind that you did the right thing. What I want to do eventually is take it to another level with some high-quality parts.

Rick

The Heresy : the most under-rated of all Klipsch speakers.......Take your time, enjoy the upgrades, and have yourself a good snicker at those who think the Heresy as too small to perform.................

'Buckster - the Heresy is definitely a large speaker in a small box. They do what they do very honestly and very well. Not the last word in bass; that is why, like you, I use a sub just barely tweaked in. Like my sig says, this setup is perfect is my smallish listening room. Also, the very best tweak I did is when I switched to tubes. Horns love tubes!

Rick

The Heresy : the most under-rated of all Klipsch speakers.......Take your time, enjoy the upgrades, and have yourself a good snicker at those who think the Heresy as too small to perform.................

'Buckster - the Heresy is definitely a large speaker in a small box. They do what they do very honestly and very well. Not the last word in bass; that is why, like you, I use a sub just barely tweaked in. Like my sig says, this setup is perfect is my smallish listening room. Also, the very best tweak I did is when I switched to tubes. Horns love tubes!

Rick

YUP.....................I HEAR THAT.!!!!!!....Scott 299-D, and a Sub.....

Daddy, I'm not answering for Tubes, just me..............I had mine up 12" on stands, No Sub Being Used at that time, and I did not like the sound at all, weak Bass, and I found the mid to be a tad weak, just my ears...............Lower to 6", still no Sub, and liked the sound......Yes, down on the floor makes for more bottom end.............I would say, SS, or Tubes, I felt the same way, maybe alittle advantage with tubes....now here is the kicker, with the Sub, and the speakers on the floor............Too much bottom......the 6" stands with the Sub, and very little volume on the Sub, is just what I was hoping to hear......It's perfect for me........The Scott changed the sound so much.......I have never been happier with the sound of my Stereo, as I am now.........[:D]

Most interesting run down. One thing I'm wondering about, is some bass sacrificed getting the speaker up off the floor?

Thats a valid comment. There are a couple of points to consider:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1) The Heresy is not going to produce a lot of bass wherever you put it

2) IMO, I get better results in the midrange and treble with the speaker up at my face level

3) The volume of the bass will definitely suffer, but I feel that the bass it does may have a more pleasing tone

4) My listening room size, layout and furnishings drove the decision to elevate them, and I like the result

If I didnt use a sub it might be a toss-up on placement. But since I am using the sub, I will trade off the lack of lower bass for the improvement in the mids, highs and overall presence.

Rick