connecting my RW-12d

afshin1

Hi im new here and im trying to figure out what would be the best way to hook up my sub?i hane a hk 347 and i need to know if ishould use a single rca to the left or use a y splitter and run to rca,s to the left and right of the sub? and also i dont know what to set the crossover to.

thanks

Single RCA will work fine. Set the crossover on the sub itself to the max, 120Hz, or whatever. Just crank it all the way up. Then set the crossover in your AVR to 80 to start with. Only one crossover should be used.

And welcome to the forum.

Does anyone know why there might be a difference when hooking a splitter up on the L/R sub inputs?

I, as well as a fellow audiophile, noticed a little bit of a difference for the better. I'm not sure why.

That's anecdotal evidence and it also represents expectational bias. To really see if there was a difference in sound quality, and not simply the volume, you'd have to do a proper double-blinded test, making certain that the sub's output was level-adjusted in each circumstance.

Using both inputs simply increases the volume of the sub at any particular volume and subwoofer trim level setting in the receiver. This same volume increase can also be easily obtained with the single RCA cable connection by simply turning up the volume level at the subwoofer, itself.

Does anyone know why there might be a difference when hooking a splitter up on the L/R sub inputs?

I, as well as a fellow audiophile, noticed a little bit of a difference for the better. I'm not sure why.

That's anecdotal evidence and it also represents expectational bias. To really see if there was a difference in sound quality, and not simply the volume, you'd have to do a proper double-blinded test, making certain that the sub's output was level-adjusted in each circumstance.

Using both inputs simply increases the volume of the sub at any particular volume and subwoofer trim level setting in the receiver. This same volume increase can also be easily obtained with the single RCA cable connection by simply turning up the volume level at the subwoofer, itself.

Exactly correct. It gives you no advantage (unless you think it looks cool). It's the very same thing as turning your sub up a notch. Save your $.

it adds 3db but that helps the amplifier get taxed less.... Expecially for those subwoofers with a low gain in.

[:^)]

It (supposedly) adds 3dB if everything else is left the same, but in recalibrating the sub, the volume would be decreased by those same 3dB, either in the receiver or at the sub's volume knob. A long as you recalibrate your sub, the amp would work exactly the same amount.

[;)]

BTW, the "3dB gain" is often cited because people assume that "if you double the input (with the extra connection), you double the sub's output". But that's not really how it works. Using the Y-connector doesn't double the input, it sums the inputs, so there's not really a 3dB gain.

[8-|]