Please help me decide

oogins

The other day, I went to my local dealer for some receiver auditioning. They are both a Denon and Yamaha dealer. I went straight to their Denon showroom to check out the 2802. The price for it was $1399 ($885 US) and it's negotiable.

Next I went to the Yamaha showroom to check out the RX-V1200. Its cost is $1425 ($900 US), which is also negotiable. Both are great receivers. The Denon sounded better for movies while the Yamaha sounded better for music. At that point, I was leaning more towards the Denon.

Well on my way out of the Yamaha showroom, I noticed the RX-V3000. It was on clearance for $1599 ($1010 US), price non-negotiable. I asked a salesman why it was so cheap and he said they were clearing out the RX-V3000 to make room for the RX-V3200 coming out in a couple months.

About a month ago, I asked if buying the Yamaha RX-V3000 would be a waste if used with Quintets, and pretty much all of you said yes. Now that the 3000 is selling for cheap, I'm wondering if I should pick it up anyway. The 3000 doesn't have DPL II or DTS-ES like the 1200 or 2802, but it does have front effects and its build quality is much higher. And it's performance in both movies and music was better than the 2802 and 1200. I'm also upgrading to Reference speakers soon, and they will probably go well with the 3000.

Im going nuts trying to decide what to get. What do you guys recommend? I can easily get the 2802 and 1200 for under $1150 ($730 US). But should I spend a little more and get the 3000?

This message has been edited by oogins on 12-21-2001 at 03:26 AM

Well, i can't say much either way regarding the Quintets as i don't know much about them, and have never "auditioned" them, but i LOVE my RX-V3000.

When i was looking for a new receiver, i first got a Denon 4800 (which in retrospect was probably a bad unit) but it sounded horrible on my KLF-30's, so i started looking at Yamaha and Marantz from another shop. I started with the 1000 and ended up going back and paying the difference for the 3000. It's such a warm clear sound at any volume, which is why i can never understand why people say Yamaha's are harsh when teamed with Klipsch. As far as i'm concerned, the 3000 blew the 4800 away, it just doesn't look as cool. :D

Anyway, i would say that's a fantastic price (this stuff's almost as bad as computer equip. for depreciation) and would definatly take it for the couple hundred extra! The only caveat is the DPLII and DTS-ES. Either Yamaha would probably be a good match for the Reference.

On the other hand, cwm31.gif the 1200 looks decent and has all the new "do-hickies". I'm not up on there new stuff though. Hey, look, it's got a new European Hall DSP! cwm25.gif

Sorry, this probably didn't help much...

-Rich

Hey Oogins,I would still go with the gangs original advice and leave the 3000 in the store.Don't get me wrong,I wanted one of these receivers a while go and whoever has one owns good gear.On the other hand my Klipsch dealer carries the entire Yamaha line and I always try to buy my gear from him but I wanted something with PLII and DTS-ES.He also had a deal on the 3000 but I turned it down.If you are going to keep upgrading I can assure you that you will want them eventually.It's also not fair for me to comment on the denon 2802 vs the yamaha RXV-1200 since I don't own them.I am just talking about features you may want that I considered before my investmet.Best of luck BBB.

If you want high end sound quality in a 6.1 A/V receiver at an amazing price get Stereophile Guide to the Home Theater Editor's Gold Choice for 2002, the Outlaw 1050 for $499. ((NOT a typo) from www.outlawaudio.com. However, if you want to impress your friends with how glitzy your knobs are or how much you spent etc. rather than how your system SOUNDS go for one of the other choices. Use the money you save to upgrade your Klipsch speakers starting with mains for music. Use the Quartets for center and surrounfds ... they'll do fine for now.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Soundog, I have considered the Outlaw 1050. I think it would sound excellent and it's build quality is the best in it's price range (36.3 lbs cwm24.gif). But I have decided not to get it after reading it can't do 6.1 for DTS, only DD. Their 950 pre/pro and 770 amp package looks interesting but it's probably out of my price range.

EDIT: After reading through the 1050 FAQ's again, I realized this unit can do DTS 6.1. You need to use an external DTS decoder and connect it to the 6 channel inputs. Then the Outlaw can matrix the rear center from that. The 1050 is back on my list of considerations.

BAH! I hate this hobby. cwm36.gif

This message has been edited by oogins on 12-21-2001 at 04:05 PM

oogins,

If you are intrested in a good yamaha receiver they are selling rv-x800 on etronics.com for 489.99 plus shipping. Thats a good price. 100 x 5, dd,dts, 6.1 etc. I will be buying one today.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire