Cornwall Questions

ejfud

First post here on Klipsch forum. I've read lots of good info while looking for info on my new Cornwalls. Thanks to the generosity of a friend I'm listening to a pair of '83 Cornwalls on a Sherwood S5500II at the moment.

Let me start by saying I've never been a big Klipsch fan till hearing another friends recapped Fortes. They sound stunning. So when the opportunity

arose to get the Cornwalls I had to give it a go.

They are model CBR from '83. The cabs are in good shape with a few

uglys, but not to bad. The driver compliment is K-77-M tweeter, K52H

mid and the K33E woofer with the B-3 crossovers.

Recapping is a must I'm guessing, but would I gain anything from using all new crossovers from Bob? How does one contact Bob? Anyother options out there?

Would veneering these in an exotic wood be upsetting to the Klipsch masses, or is messing with the stock cabs a no-no?

Thanks for any help folks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would first worry about cosmetics.  Granted a lot of work but really makes one proud of his speakers.  After all you got to look at them everyday!

There are lots of reasons people upgrade/change internals  and the OLDER the speaker the greater the need to do something.  Personally I would live with them a year before considering making technical changes.  One possible exception is to replace the capacitors with newer ones.  I don't  think yours have changed enough to just plunge into it.  Need to spend lots of time listening to have a point of reference for yourself.

Just my opinion, of course.  Good luck.

I was thinking along the same lines.

Bob will be rebuilding the crossovers and I'll be doing a curly maple veneer job on them when the veneer arrives.

Then into the listening room to see if they can overthrow my Tannoys.