KP 48e for Sub??

ram87007

My take no.  It was used in the Chorus floor standing speaker.  Even with a tuned port, it was -3db at 45hz.  Not the makings of a sub woofer.

I will agree that it would make a poor subwoofer. ( device that covers the lowest octaves ) In the pro sound world "subwoofer" defines any device that covers the range of 150 cps down to about 35 cps give or take a few. Most are way down in output at 40 hertz compared to higher frequencies.

In the home, the word subwoofer is used to describe a device intended to cover the lowest octaves. In my world this includes those frequencies from 16 hertz and up. It takes a whole lot of displacement ( cone area and excursion combined ) to faithfully reproduce the lowest octaves without compression and artifacts. ( doubling )

Home audio subwoofers are a lot less sensitive ( require more input power ), and have different parameters ( Xmax being just one of them ) that allow them to reproduce low frequencies. They are usually crossed over to a set of main loudspeakers at 80 hertz or below.

KP-48=Eminence Magnum 15HO {sort of according to Doc Who}

Eminence response curves are measured under the following controlled test conditions: * All speakers are tested at 1W/1m using a variety of test set-ups for the appropriate impedance * LMS using 0.25" supplied microphone (software calibrated) mounted 1m from wall/baffle * 2ft. X 2 ft. baffle is built into the wall with the speaker mounted flush against a steel ring for minimum diffraction * Hafler P1500 Trans-Nova amplifier * 2700 cu. ft. chamber with fiberglass on all six surfaces (three with custom-made wedges)...........might not go low but 2 of them would lift an throw your couch around the room

post-16352-13819338949374_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, not sure if they're the same or not, but the 15HO models up very close to the advertised performance of the K-48. If only we could get our hands on the T/S...

I've been told that the only difference between the KP-48 and the K-48 is the rubber guard surrounding the magnet on the KP.