Inexpensive CD Player of Choice & Khorns

Chris Robinson

I have a pair of '76 Khorns that I'm refinishing and plan to put them in our living room, which is at the other end of the house from our family room/HT. While I considered for a while putting the Khorns on the family room system, it just seems like a lot of cabling and amp diddling.

I think I'm changing my strategy to making the Khorn system stand-alone with an inexpensive integrated tube amp (like an Antique Sound Labs' Orchid or something in that series) and a simple but nice CD player. This room will be for reading and sitting in front of the fireplace, so nothing too expensive is needed.

I've read through a lot of threads and searches, but can't seem to find anyone's input for a nice yet reasonably priced CD player. This will probably just sit on top of one of the K-horns with the tube amp resting on top. A multiple CD feature would be an added plus but certainly isn't a requirement.

Any suggestions?

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

I'd highly recommend the AMC CD8b. $200.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

I would recommend a Rega Planet as a good, no frills CD player. They're expensive new but can be found used very easily on eBay, Audiogon, or the like for around $400.00 or so. The unit has a nice sound & excellent Burr-Brown DAC's so it is good as a stand-alone player. Buying used equipment is not as risky as it sounds and can save you significant amounts of money. If you get it from the original owner and they have the manual, box & packing it usually means they took good care of it.

Also, I would not recommend putting ANY equipment on top of speakers, especially a CD player. Vibration from the speaker cabinets can affect the CD players sound and bring an early death to the circuit boards in any component. Any kind of shelf is better than putting components on top of speakers. Good luck!