So I have 5.1... do i NEED 7.1?

Ou8thisSN

All DVD's are 5.1 discrete channels.

Not so true.... I can think of three movies off the top of my head that are in 6.1 dts es discrete and they are the Lord of the Rings movies in their extended versions. I am sure there are more but definitely not a lot more.

Right about that and maybe more.....

But the big (and only) thing is....there is just no content to justify this. Jeez.....is anyone suggesting spending mega $$ with muti-channel amps, surround processors, transport devices just to hear SOUND EFFECTS in slightly more DETAIL. Come...ON....

Breaking my brains and my bank account to get a multi-channel rig is ONLY justified if I could really hear best conceived and executed music....So far, only in 5.1 or SACD/DVD-A that I know of.

Why do you think the 2-channel music forum is so popular? $$ compete for best sound products. Multi-channel is still not clicking on all cylinders (channels)....hey, but maybe I'm really wrong....are you guys really into surround shoot-outs?..medieval wars?...bus crashes?.... bodies ripping?... crickets chirping?...adolescent gaming? ...and when do you stop spending to make sure that 4, no 6, no maybe 8 people can sit in the HT room and hear all of these multitudinous sound effects equally well....is there some ego thing here?

I'm invested in both...but I haven't heard anything yet to trump good 2 channel........music.....some DTS concert DVDs...and a smattering of SACD/DVD-A ......keep 'Bored of the Rings' (sic), etc for "Home-theater in a Box"....let's discuss good sound, please.

I like my 2 channel system too, but it can not do what my 5.1 can do.........Last Man Standing DVD ..... Jerry Lee and most of the Band up front, the young Neville lad on piano to my left rear, back-up singers in right rear.........sounds great...........The Pulse by Pink Floyd..awesome 5.1.......I guess it's again, what ever your looking for.............I have 2 systems now a 2 channel...........and a Home Theatre system...........I like both, but will not break the bank to reproduce sound.........as far as people in the room....I'm the only one that matters....spend what you can afford......Funny, I remember when black and white mono TV was something............my own transistor radio...........Electronics has come along way..........ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!!

I had new construction in the basement so pulled wires for 7.1. When the model shift occurred last year, picked up a couple more RS-25s and hooked em up.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My listening position is about 15 feet in front of the back wall. Gladiator and Top Gun in DTS ES 6.1 are incredible, a suitable, but noticeable difference. More complete/full sound field.

I'm doing 6.1 with a RS52 at rear center about 4' from the recliners. It works very well for me. What's the big difference going to 7.1 if both rear centers will be together anyway?

I agree with your assesment here, Michael. That's why I'm NOT in a hurry to get to 7.1 until it's ALL DISCRETE from ALL High Def. DVD makers. I am patient my my $$. My 6.1 Onkyo will be fine for now and a good excuse to build up my rear, 3-way all horn 6th channel, with a Peavy Pseudo La Scala bottom (FH-1 contain a K-33E from an old Cornwall). BTW it also has a 2-ch only Stereo mode which still uses the .1 output to my subs. So I have modified Khorns with twin subs containing 6 drivers (2 of them passive) and bass ports. Really rounds out the missing octave in a Khorn for music AND movies and give incredible bass response for everything and I still have that great Khorn bass transient as I run them full out and not high-passed.

As such, the back surround channel
is not discrete and
therefore THX Surround EX is not a true "6.1" format.

What about the extended surround "7.1" format? Well,
"7.1" is not a true surround sound format. Rather it
refers to home theater equipment manufacturers' proprietary
implementation of two back surround channels using the same back
surround audio signal that was discussed above. Usually, the audio
signal fed to the two back surround channels are identical, but some
manufacturers may choose to mix some information from the left and right
surrounds. Again, these are proprietary implementations that vary
across manufacturers and are not industry standards. The
use of two back surround speakers fills in the sound better from the
rear of the audience than single back surround speaker implementations.

To take advantage of THX Surround EX, you must have both:

(1) a DVD player and use one of the digital audio outputs (e.g., "Toslink"
optical or coaxial).

(2) a THX Surround EX decoder, usually a function of the receiver or
pre-amplifier. Look for the "THX
Surround EX"

words or logo on the faceplate. Receivers
featuring THX Surround EX decoding are still relatively expensive,

particularly those that comes with
six or seven channels of
amplification for the full frequency channels.

DTS Extended Surround Matrix is a competing
extended surround matrix
format, while DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1
is the only true discrete
6.1 format.

I had new construction in the basement so pulled wires for 7.1. When the model shift occurred last year, picked up a couple more RS-25s and hooked em up.

My listening position is about 15 feet in front of the back wall. Gladiator and Top Gun in DTS ES 6.1 are incredible, a suitable, but noticeable difference. More complete/full sound field.

Having done both 6.1 and 5.1, I can say that it's the law of diminishing returns to the Second Power. If someone already has 5.1, or it can be had cheaper, then I woudn't recommend 6.1 for right now and to go 7.1 later. Of course 6.1 is a little better, for the same reason we have 3 front channels (which I had for 30 years anyhow for stereo, just like PWK's home system) .

The second thing is that only a select few movies have dicrete DTS 6.1. The one that do a good that way but it's only a handful of all the DVD's out there commercially or for rent. But for those who have the capability now, please enjoy you have nothing to be worried about.