Best inexpensive true sine wave UPS for DLP/LCD PJ? Any Recommendations?

bdbaba

Do you plan on running your audio off this too? Or is it just going to be for your video equipment? The reason I ask is because many of the surge suppresions used in these kinds of devices will squish the dynamics in music. I'm not familiar if this specific unit has that problem or not, but if you're not running audio off it there's nothing to worry about.

Aloha Dr.Who,

Thanks for the reply.. I am just going to run the PJ off it. Hopefully that will be OK.

My other equipment is just running through a surge protector and a Tice Solo Power conditioner that I picked up for free at a garage sale. I hope they are not screwing up my dynamics as well. I don't want my Chorus fronts and Forte center to be squished! What do you think?

bdbaba

many of the surge suppresions used in these kinds of devices will squish the dynamics in music.

what about some of the units that have a high current outlet for amps? do these squish dynamics also? i thought that was the purpose of the "special" outlet? to prevent hinderence of dynamics.

I would be surprised to see any UPS units with true sine wave outputs. All of the ones I checked (scoped) were square wave.

JJK

Interesting. I think the more expensive ones from APC are true sine wave, but i do not want to spend that much. I would like to keep it under $200 bones.

Does it matter? I only want the backup if I have a brown out or a black out--which we do a lot here--so i can power down the PJ in the proper way. I am not going to run it on the battery for long.

I guess the question is whether having the PJ plugged into the thing will ruin the picture any while its getting regular power from the outlet?

bdbaba

many of the surge

suppresions used in these kinds of devices will squish the dynamics in

music.

what about some of the units that have a high

current outlet for amps? do these squish dynamics also? i thought that

was the purpose of the "special" outlet? to prevent hinderence of

dynamics.

That's partially why I said many and not all. I

really need to sit down and figure out which suppression technologies

squish dynamics that way I don't have to speak broadly about it all the

time. Or even better, hopefully somone in the know will chime in. If I

were purchasing one of these units, I would be contacting the

manufacturer to make sure I was going with the right unit - and I would

expect that they might be able to recommend a better alternative once

they learn your application too (or maybe that's a bit too optimistic,

I dunno).

many of the surge suppresions used in these kinds of devices will squish the dynamics in music.

what about some of the units that have a high current outlet for amps? do these squish dynamics also? i thought that was the purpose of the "special" outlet? to prevent hinderence of dynamics.

many and not all.

yep, i caught that. i was just inquiring because thats what i thought was the purpose of the high current outlet. and was wondering if my thinking was wrong.

I'm kinda busy right now (going into finals week for summer courses), but if I don't make it back to this thread in 2-3 weeks feel free to drop me a reminder to go do a little research. There's gotta be a website or something out there that documents how all the technologies work. If not, I'll just sit down and throw something together.

I'm kinda busy right now (going into finals week for summer courses), but if I don't make it back to this thread in 2-3 weeks feel free to drop me a reminder to go do a little research. There's gotta be a website or something out there that documents how all the technologies work. If not, I'll just sit down and throw something together.

Thanks Dr. Who--Look forward to reading what you find out. Good luck with your tests! Let me know what textbooks you need for next semester--maybe I can get you a deal.

bdbaba