Buying used Reference speakers - price & age???

jw31

I was looking to get my FIRST set of Klipsch's to upgrade my home theater, and a couple people are selling some RF-3's and RC3's used. Can I easily determine the age based on the serial number or will the label say the year they were made?

I know they can't be older than 99 or newer than 2003 right? What is a fair price for a pair of RF-3's and does it matter too much if they are closer to 99 or 03? Was there a major difference between the RF3 and RF3 II's?? One ad has the package of 2 RF3's, 1 RC3, 1 KSW-12 and an older yamaha receiver (RXV2095) for $450 (which I think is a screamin deal BUT I also think I can get down further because they are moving this week), and another ad has just a pair of RF3's for $300.

I'm guessing neither of these will last long, so speed is of the essence! Help me become a Klipsch owner! (btw, if I get the package I may have a KSW-12 for sale if anyone is interested...I already have a Hsu VTF-2).

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Ebay sales usually set the market price. There's not a ton of reference gear there, but I'd suggest to do an advanced Ebay search and check on completed items only. You'll be able to see what has been on Ebay over the last few weeks.

Hope you get your system. Klipsch is fabulous.