JBL speakers kinda like La Scala's for HT

IndyKlipschFan

One thing I was getting at, Michael, was that JBL thinks this is a KILLER ht system.. And it is..

I think a lot of people are finding KLIPSCH Heritage sounds great in a HT too.

We were in a argument of horizontal vs vertical horns the other day on here. Just a thought to check it out.

A diffraction style horn will actually have wider horizontal polars when mounted in the configuration JBL is using.

As far as sensitivity...keep in mind that the least efficient component in the chain forces that setting. So if you had 100dB Klipsch speakers with a 90dB subwoofer, then technically your overall system is 90dB...even though you're still realizing the full impact of the 100dB mains. That's why the Klipsch subwoofers have such big amps to go with them.

I have only looked at the picture of the speaker in that link, but I would wager that the system plays very low and that cabinet doesn't exactly look huge either (especially when you've got all that free space behind the HF section). If it's for real, the 89dB sensitivity indicates that the horns on top are being reduced probably around 20dB...arguably maybe a bit less considering that they're constant-directivity (so just 20dB around 800Hz and probably nothing at 8kHz)

Ultrahigh-Frequency Driver

045Ti 1" Pure-titanium compression driver with aluminum edge-wound voice coil and 2" neodymium motor assembly, mounted in a SonoGlass constant-directivity horn

High-Frequency Transducer

435AL-1 3" Aquaplas-treated aluminum-dome compression driver with aluminum edge-wound voice coil and neodymium motor assembly, mounted in a vertical SonoGlass constant-directivity horn

Low-Frequency Transducer

LE14H-3 14" Aquaplas-treated pulp-cone driver with rubber surround and massive ferrite motor assembly with 4" copper edge-wound voice coil, mounted in a trapezoidal enclosure

Sensitivity (2.83V/1m)

89dB

Frequency Response (-3dB)

32Hz 40kHz

Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power

300 Watts

Crossover Frequencies

750Hz, 8kHz

Nominal Impedance

8 Ohms

Port

4" Flared

Dimensions (H x W x D)

46-1/2" x 15-1/2" x 19" (1181mm x 394mm x 483mm)

Weight per Speaker

115 lb (52kg)

========================================

Good JBL has always been a power hungry speaker. At 5,500 EACH for these we still get a terrific buy from Klipsch as well with La Scalas. I guess that is what is the point too with me here. Looks like you need a amp at + - 300 Watts and lets say you have 5 of these at 5x 5500= 27,500 just in speakers... Not including the sub which is another 4,000 that is $ 31,500.00 for a 5.1 system in speakers alone. Add that pre amp and amp. Again I have heard these spekers at CEDIA.. I will still take my La Scala's over them!