Bella Klipsch or RF-7's

firejim

Hi everybody....I just lost my Klipsch Cornwall's of 22 years to a flood,the damage is unrepairable.I was considering replaceing them with a pair of Bella Klipsh or the RF7's.Not knowing quite what either sound like,which would you recomend to replace my Cornwall's with? Please don't factor price into the equation.

I will be setting up a complete home theater system as well,center,sub,and surrounds.Thanks in advance.

------------------

--

The choice is between assembling a top quality system using either old Heritage series speakers or the more modern RF7 series. I love the "hair-trigger" dynamics of the old Heritage speakers, which you are certainly familiar with having owned Cornwalls. I am assuming you want to purchase new or you could just try to replace the Cornwalls off of ebay. However, there is a problem in doing that currently with the Heritage series as, due to problems with obtaining speaker components, production has been suspended. Some dealers may still have some but I think they would be difficult to find. I have two Home Theater systems: one consisting of old Heritage Speakers which I prefer for listening to stereo music, musical movies and now multi-channel SACDs. The problem with Heritage speakers in a Home Theater is two fold: their size/ design and finding suitable amplification (tubes are best but Home Theater amps are all transistor). I use a tube stereo preamp for my Klipschorn mains with an Outlaw Audio 1050 A/V Receiver which works very well for me. A Home Theater with Heritage speakers would use Klipschorns and/or Belles or LaScalas as main/center speakers. Heresys are also often used as center speakers and very often as surrounds, although any of the other aforementioned speakers could be used also but size could be a problem. (Finding right and left handed sky hooks to wall mount them could be a problem - just kidding). Another problem is that unless you use an older Heritage speaker with Alnico magnets, the newer ones are not shielded and could blur TV monitors - but, if money is no problem, front projection would be a first class solution. My second HT system uses now discontinued Klipsch THX speakers and some Reference series speakers along with an Outlaw 1050. I think this produces a better overall surround effect for most DVD 5.1 and 6.1 movies, especially those of the action genre. Of course, they were designed with HT in mind. The Reference 7 speakers seem very good (I have trouble evaluating speakers in my local stores) but I think they would produce a first-rate Home Theater System that along with the new Reference subs (reportedly better on music than explosions - which I think is the right choice) would prove a great choice for both Home Theater and music. But listen to a pair of RF7s closely with a recording you are very familiar with because after all that time with the Cornwalls they might be a habit you find hard to break!

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

firejim,

You did not elaborate on the type of damage, but you might be surprised at how much can be restored on your flooded cornwalls.

1. The midrange horn should be good for sure.

2. Klipsch has the woofers new

3. The tweeter might be cleanable and new diaphrams added

4. The mid-range driver might also be cleanable with new diaphrams added

5. The cabinet is a piece of cake for a carpenter.

6. ALK has a crossover available.

I am sure that information for rebuilding the cabinet is easily available from people on this board. All you need is the external dimentions and the length and area of the port shelf. Plus the distance between the horns on the front baffle.

I would not give up too easily.

Good luck and persist!

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN