1st theater

bribri

HT covers a broad area of options. It would be helpful to give us some more information, though.

1. What is your total system budget? Is it flexible?

2. What gear do you have now? - some of it may still be useful.

3. How much space do you have to work with in the listening/theater room?

It is no secret to the members of this forum that great options are available on used gear - most of my speakers are in fact used, since they are no longer made. Systems are as individual and varied as their owners are.

Here's a basic list of what you will need to do a home theater effectively.

1. Receiver, or combination of a preamp and amplifier.

2. Five speakers, plus a subwoofer.

3. DVD player to get 5.1 Dolby Digital and other movie formats to play back on your system.

4. Television to view the movies.

5. Any other tape decks, VCRs, or other components you will use as sources.

6. Cables, etc. to hook it all up.

You can spend a lot, or a relative "little" to get a system in place. A bigger, more flexible budget helps, as this stuff can get expensive - but yields much better results.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 12-25-2001 at 11:53 PM

Thanks for replying.

You wanted to know what I have.. Well right now my DVD player is going to be my Playstation 2 and I have a 36" Sony Wega. So what I want is sound. For my fronts I was looking to pick up a pair of Klipsch 4.2's I had a pair bout 7 yrs back and loved them. Now I dont know a thing about looking for the correct reciever that I am going to need. Surrounds, Center and Sub I need advice on as well. Do I want a all in one reciever or do I want seperates? For Budget.. now that will vary.. may be $2000 to spend.

Is that $2000 for receiver, mains, center, surrounds, subwoofer and DVD player? What size room will this be setup in? If it was me, I might do the following:

Receiver...: $500 budget - Used Denon or the Outlaw 1050

Main(L,R)..: $500 budget - Used Fortes or Chorus's (I or II), KLF-20's from Ubid

Center.....: $250 budget - Used Academy for Forte/Chorus or KLF-C7 for KLF-20's

Surrounds..: $250 budget - Used RS-3's or a new pair from Ubid

Rear Center: $250 budget - KLF-C7 from Ubid

Cables.....: $250 budget - AR, Monster or Radio Shack speaker wire and interconnects (RCA Audio, Component or S-Video)

That should start you out with an outstanding Home Theater and you can upgrade the DVD player and purchase a sub at a later time. You might want to think about the Panasonic RP91 as it is Progressive Scan as well as DVD-Audio (The Outlaw has External Inputs for DVD-A). It can be had for $480 delivered at www.ecost.com.

If you go with the Forte/Chorus route, the KLF-C7 matches up very well with them (I have the Chorus/C7 combo) it's just the Academy matches up better. Another route might be going with 3 pairs of Heresy's (fronts, surrounds, front and rear center). You can probably find 3 pair on Ebay (try and get the same finish) for $1000 - $1250.

Regardless, let us know what you end up with...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-28-2001 at 11:25 AM