MITS HDTV, Dying or Tune Up?

justin_tx_16

I have a Mitsubishi 55" HDTV WS-55809, love it. Great picture, solid cabinet and ... well it was free from my Dad so that's a huge plus.

Recently it has been giving me problems. The screen will have this terrible rainbow effect that happens for about the first 20 minutes SOMETIMES and then goes away. It does this about 30% of the time and then, once it has been on for a while, everything is fine.

Today however, I turned it on, terrible rainbow effect... a few minutes later it was perfect and then, it went back to a rainbow.

I can open the convergence screen and show you what it looks like. I'm sure you all know that the lines should all be squared and all white.

1019500875_7e7df7f963.jpg

So... Should I just consider it dead OR should I get it tuned up? I mean, when it works, it looks great.

If I did a tune up, does anyone have an idea how much it would cost for someone to come out to my house and re-calibrate it?

Also, since this guy doesn't have an HD Tuner... how much does one of those cost? Thanks for all of your help guys!

It's the same model I just trashed. The color guns go bad in them and they can even leak on the convergence board causing shorts. The cost on the guns was around $225 each X 3. The convergence board has to be rebuilt at about $150. There's also a heat build up problem in the casing. I considered putting a pair of fans in mine to keep things cool but after I got the price of the parts I bought a new HDTV instead.

You may have different problems than I did but the symptoms are identical.

Harry

Why mess with it? Cause I'm in college haha. If it was a $350 tuneup then I'd be all over it but it sounds like a more expensive venture so I'm gonna have to save up for a new LCD or perhaps another one of these projection types. I love the big screen...

So, too many windows for a plasma leaves me with either an LCD or a projection screen. Thoughts? I mostly watch AppleTV until I can get some over the air HDTV in here (help with that too?). I can't get cable or satellite. Don't even mention that one haha, my landlord says no, no, NO! This building is nearly 100 years old with a foot of concrete between floors and 4 inches in every wall (even interior walls!) so they won't let us bring in cable. Plus HDTV programming here would cost me around $70+ month with our local cable company and again, poor college student thing going on here.

So, projection HDTV or LCD? I want something between 40-55 inches, 1080i/p though I have been told 720p is the same as 1080i (?) and I can't spend my more than $2000 and anything below that would be absolutely awesome.