Help with sub 12 setup. Getting hum/feedback

tommiwan

I need some help setting up my sub 12. I've had it for a few months now, but never got the settings right where I want them. I get the gain set right where I want it, but when I turn my system off I get feedback problems. It starts as a real low, quiet feedback and gets louder and then stay constant until I go turn the gain down on the sub. It's got to be something wrong with my setup.

My initial thought was the auto/on switch. I checked and it's set to auto, so the sub should be turning itself off when I turn my system off. I'll run down my settings in case that is helpful. I know this is probably simple but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. One other thing that I thought was wierd is that if I drop something on the floor and stomp, you can hear the sub give off a low ring. Sounds like it's definitely not turning itself off, but why not...

Gain = 50% approx

Lowpass = 100 Approx

Phase = 0

Sub cable from my reciever plugged in to left/LFE, and speaker wire running through my high level in/out

It would be more of a hum... but I do have both the low and high level inputs hooked up. I thought that's how it was supposed to be hooked up

Supposing that's the problem I'd like to understand the difference between and advantages of each connection.

EDIT: As a quick test I unplugged the low level input to see if the problem continued and it did still happen

Remove the speaker wires and use only the RCA hookup. If the hum is not completely gone, try a cheater plug to see if it is a ground loop. A cheater plug is one of those adapters you put on the end of your subwoofer's power cord. It has a 3 prong female end and 2 prongs (no ground) where it goes into the recepticle.

Thanks for the help, I unattached the speaker wire, and the problem seems to be gone. I guess things tend to work right when you hook them up correctly huh? [:$] The good thing is, that in fixing this I got to change a couple settings on my reciever at the same time.

thanks for the help. Now I just have to find the right level... you know the one that shakes the walls, but is just shy of cracking the windows [:)]