LCD or DLP PJ

wstrickland1

Shawn.. "Not really, people have to clean their color wheels in home setups. There are numerous threads about this over on AVS. The color wheels build up a film on them over time. Most think it is from outgassing of the plastics used in the projectors themselves that cause this. It is a slow degradation of the picture so most don't really notice it until they clean the wheel again."

Good point.. I have no idea how to do this... But can feel/ see where this might help.. I wonder how much the color wheel lens is say to replace every 2- 3 years?

Good point.. I will look it up on AVS.

the Optoma arrived in less than 2 days. The Projector People seem great so far. I rolled the old Toshiba out of the way, set the pj on a side table and hooked up the component video cables from the receiver. Just shooting on the off white painted wall the picture was freaking awesome. I can't imagine what it's going to be like with a screen and after tweaking the settings. Even standard def looked great (for standard def). I'm really going to like this thing. Unreal.

I'd recommend the DLP for the best overrall picture. However, I do know that an LCD projector seems to make a better still or slow moving image. So its up to you: would you rather have something that can keep up with quicker moving content and still look sharp? Or is your viewing style suited more to slow moving films where image detail needs to be at its peak?

Do not get me wrong, there are some DLPs that are sharper than some LCDs, and some LCDs move as good as a DLP. But the very best DLPs will far outpace an LCD when watching an action flick, and the best LCDs will look crystal clear on that chick fli.... *cough* I mean drama film.

picked up an inexpensive 100" dia. pull down screen from CC today and hung it. It's a matte white screen and it indeed does look much better than the wall. I also mounted the pj on the ceiling. I can't stop watching it. LL World Series, HD Preseason, Discovery HD, Space Cowboys, Home Alone 2 with my daughter earlier, part of Space Cowboys (got a good demonstration of contrast capability on that)......hell, what else?? The Busch Race in HD, Varsity Blues (yeah, I know) on ShowHD. I also tried out some regular DVDs, Star Wars ROTS and it was really nice.

Has anyone used a laptop w/ HD DVD drive? My HP Notebook has the drive and hdmi output so I might (will) try it. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.